Noisy Pipes!!

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Noisy Pipes!!

Post by Rob »

Well, the fish room is set up (temporarily in the workshop until I iron out the problems), everything seems to be going OK, but it sounds like Niagra falls.

The Pump is a bit of a beast, Oase Aquarius, 5000l/hr. It makes a bit of a noise, but I'll hopefully beable to deal with that by insulating the sump.

The problem is the downpipe that travels down all three tanks, it malkes a hell of a noise.

Any ideas, as If I leave it as it is it will make everyone need to go for a pee every five minutes!! :lol:
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi rob..................will it still be running at the weekend?..................I will pop down for a look ok

Sid
sid...........perfection dont come easy ,but i get by
kgroenhoej
Forum Follower

Post by kgroenhoej »

Please have a look at:
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

I made my own standpipes exactly like Dursos and I'm very satisfied with the noise-level (or the lack of noise) :-)

Regards
Klaus
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Guys

Sid... Off to Edin at the weekend, but we can sort something out.!

Klaus
.. had a look at the side, very interesting. Will this still be as effective without the chamber?

My outflow is drilled directly into the tank. DO you think I would be best putting in a chamber wall!

rob
kgroenhoej
Forum Follower

Post by kgroenhoej »

My outflow is also drilled directly into the tank. My standpipes are behind a Hamburger Mattenfilter.
You will need something to stop fish from swimming up into the downward opening of the standpipe.
A chamber-wall is effective to skim the surface - but it's definitely not necessary.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

had a wee think about it, and will it still work with a 3 teir system, as this will not allow the drain pipe to fill. :?:
kgroenhoej
Forum Follower

Post by kgroenhoej »

The noise from the the drain-pipe will decrease if you use submerged intake. You don't want the drain-pipe to be complete filled with water when using submerged intake - a filled drain-pipe will create suction and the water-level will very quickly drop below the intake (with a very loud suction sound) and then the water-level will raise again until suction happens again.
To avoid this water-suction you need some kind of air-intake on the top of the standpipe - this will make the overflow nice and steady and quite :-)
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Rob,
I think you might find the attached article on building your own centralised system By Mark Evenden, (who writes Discus aricles for Practical fishkeeping), useful. He also describes a cure for the gurgling.I have visited Marks shop and found both his system and his fish amazing.If need be, you could always tel him for advice.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... icle_id=62
Regards,
Des :lol: