Please bare with me, Newby here and first post !

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

stee41

Please bare with me, Newby here and first post !

Post by stee41 »

Hi everyone :)
I have kept tropical for a few years, but wish to try and start breeding L46 if possible, I want to make sure my tank environment is correct and water as near to perfect as possible, so I have a few questions if you can help please.. sorry

1. what is the acceptable water hardness range
2. Do I have to have fast/slow flowing water
3. about how much oxygen is needed
4. Do I have to use CO2
5. What internal sizes are needed for breeding caves.
6. What is the best widely available food on the market.
7. What diseases are they prone to.

Thanks everyone, your advice would be appreciated :D
TwoTankAmin

Re: Please bare with me, Newby here and first post !

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Hi- a belated welcome to the site. Some of your Qs are not that simple to answer but I will do my best,

1. what is the acceptable water hardness range
Fairly wide, This is mostly only important if you are trying to spawn them. I have seen them in TDS from about 80 ppm up into the mid 300s.
2. Do I have to have fast/slow flowing water
Either will do, but you do need flow. If spawning them then flow should be across a cave mouth not into the cave.
3. about how much oxygen is needed
Lots. Good oxygenation is important. These fish like it warm and there is less O dissolved in water the higher the temperature. Good O levels are more important than high flow rates.
4. Do I have to use CO2
No.
5. What internal sizes are needed for breeding caves.
Small caves. 1 by 1 inch square or 1 inch diameter for round. Long enough for the whole fish to fit in with an inch or two to spare.
6. What is the best widely available food on the market.
Feed an assortment. They are omnivores who like meat. As fry they need more veggies than when older. Do not feed small zebras on blood worms unless you chop them up. Smaller zebras will choke themselves to death trying to eat food too big.
7. What diseases are they prone to.
The same ones as most fish. Oddly enough over the years I have never had to treat mine for anything.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.