Opinions needed please:

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

killiedave57

Opinions needed please:

Post by killiedave57 »

Hello... I am planning on making some(multiple ie.. many) caves for my plecos and I spent quite a bit of time reading through the forum on making caves....
here is my question..
I picked up some natural square slate at my local tile store and while I like the natural look, I think for what I want to do right now is build some square (boring) caves.
I noticed a product there for glueing, a silicone product which I will describe below, but it is a black product and I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this product in aquariums, as it didn't have anyof the typical disclaimers that some of the products in the box stores have on them, specifically "not for aquarium use"
here is the product and specs.. let me know your thoughts on this.. If no one has an opinion, I may due a test with it on guppies or something not so expensive as my plecos.

product name; Laticrete
Latasil Tile and Stone Sealant 100% silicone with "Microban"
states: silicone sealant for marble,granite,tile and stone applications: for swimming pools, spas, and fountains: interior and exterior use:

If you know this to be harmful to fish or aquatic life, I will go to the ol standby, regular silicone aquarium sealant....
I know there is a black product out there as it is used to make some of the tanks these days, just don't know where to get it...
thanks
david
TwoTankAmin

Re: Opinions needed please:

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Use tank safe silicone. Use tank epoxy. I sold a gent 8 zebras years back. He decided to tile his tank in slate. He used grout, he thought he sealed it in with silicone, lost all 8 real fast. Tile supplies are not things I would normally consider to be tank safe.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
killiedave57

Re: Opinions needed please:

Post by killiedave57 »

Thanks for the feedback..... I will use silicone, for my caves, but... I think I am going to try this other product and test it with some cheap fish for a while to see the possible outcomes... what epoxys (brands) can you reccomend??
thanks