FINALLY!!!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

jerms55555
Obsessed!!

FINALLY!!!!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Well after advice from Ken and Adam, I left the cave and male in its place and I shined a flashlight in the cave and..............I saw a huge egg or two, he was blocking the entrance pretty well so I dont know how many there is, with a fast little tail wiggling around!!!!!!! FINALLYYYYYYY!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
After millions of water changes and buying TDS meters,powerheads, caves more zebras, because I thought I only had all males and buying more zebras and fighting with the dam girl, it all pays off!!!!!!!
Im soooooooooooo happy and glad that I finally accomplished this!! Now lets see if I can or my male zebra can, raise the fry to adulthood!!!
I just really want to thank everyone here!!! Thanks for all the info and the time they put in this great hobby, especially Rob, Adam, Ken, Barbie, McEve, Des and all the moderators and others I might have missed!!!!

Now back to business, I have a ram cichlid and two flying foxes in this tank should I take them out??? And I also have 11 more adult zebras as well should the fry be fine??
PS i will take pictures tomorrow and show my setup!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey Jerms that's fantastic news. :D :D

I'm really pleased for you mate, it makes all the hard work you've put into it worth while. From your male's behaviour I just knew he had a spawn.

Congratulations mate. :mrgreen:

Adam
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Nice one - congrats :D

Get some piccys up :)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Adam

Re: FINALLY!!!!!

Post by Adam »

jerms55555 wrote:Now back to business, I have a ram cichlid and two flying foxes in this tank should I take them out??? And I also have 11 more adult zebras as well should the fry be fine??
Personally I would remove the non-zebra tank mates as any young that accidently get out could be eaten by the other fish. It might be a bit difficult to do this without disturbing the male, try not to move any tank decor around if you can.

Adam
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

sounds good Adam! I will try.
Thanks again SmithRc, I took some pics today but I need to clean them up...will post soon! :lol:
Last edited by jerms55555 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Jerms5555,

Congrats.
I too would take out the Ram especially. The flying foxes are more herbivores but would remove them too.
Good luck.

Des.
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Congrats! Looks like California is having a bit of good fortune lately... Did you get your Zebras from Anthony?
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I got two from him before he sold his stock!! (male/femal) But dont know if they were the ones that breed for me... Did you as well?? Where in Cali are you from???
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Congrats Jerms

Fantastic news.

I agree, with the ram, get himout of there asap.

Is it sand substrate that you have?

If so, make sure it is kept really clean. If over the next few days you see any die, lying on the floor of the substrate, ( they should come out of the cave for another 6- 7 days), then try and catch them a put them in a fry trap with an airstone.

good luck, and congrats again!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Congradulations Jerms!!!!!!

I am very happy for you. A job well done. All that hard work definitely pays off.

If you do decide to move the babies later, here are a few foods I feed my babies once they absorb the egg sac: Frozen baby brine, Cyclopeeze, pieces of frozen spinach leaves, and sinking earthworm sticks or spirulina sticks from aquatrol.

Hope this helps in your next phase of zebra rearing.

I agree with everyone else, remove the other non zebras.

Ken
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Thanks Everybody!!!! I will sure to be taking everyones advice.....One more question...this morning I noticed the female or another female was trying to get in the cave again.... :shock: But the male was blocking her from getting in.....Do you think I should get the babies out??? Will she kill them if she gets in??
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Jerms,

I found a thread that discussed the very same thing except the female had already got in. Looks like if she gets in the fry will be ignored, I can understand that it is a worry what with this being your first spawn and all.
Personally and this is just my oppinion I would take the fry now and place them in a breeder.

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358

Adam
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Thanks Adam!!
Well I took the babies out and there were four! I thought i was only seeing two.....so Im happy with the four...I took some pics, i will have to put them up soon...Also these past two days the male and female were in the cave again!!!! today i checked and the male is all the way in there!!!! Is it possible for them to breed that fast??? Its been exactly two weeks when the first female laid her eggs.....
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

jerms55555 wrote:I got two from him before he sold his stock!! (male/femal) But dont know if they were the ones that breed for me... Did you as well?? Where in Cali are you from???
Yup, I got mine from him too... Please keep us updated on things.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Great news Jerms. :D You got four more fry at your first attempt than I did, you've done well mate.

It's not unheard of for spawns to take place almost back to back. In fact they can happen when the male still has fry in the cave. I don't think that this happens all that often though.

Regards.

Adam