Odd situaion 2 males breeding in same tank

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

briankchung
Forum Follower

Odd situaion 2 males breeding in same tank

Post by briankchung »

Here's the situation. The alpha male breed a few times in a cave near the center of the tank. After the 5th spawn I saw some scratches on him and suspect it was the female try to get out of the cave causing the injury but later at the far right cave there was another male fanning so I look up with the flashlight and yes theres eggs in cave.

Two weeks later the second male left the cave( this morning) fry still in cave , but when I return home the alpha male is in the second male's cave with the fry inside. It sort of freak me out..., will the alpha kill of the second male's fry? Should I just leave it alone or try to get the fry out of the cave....? will the alpha breed at the same time or that's it for him?
Any advices anyone?...... Thanks~~~
Tank 1
Adult L46 x 8
Juv L46 x 15
Tank 2
L333 x 3
C14 x 4
blk cory x 3
Tank 3
L46 x 7
Tank 4
Kelah x4 18inch
Thank 5
Centromochlus perugiae x 15
TwoTankAmin

Re: Odd situaion 2 males breeding in same tank

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Are you sure they swapped places? I have had as many as three males spawn in the same tank within about 2-3 weeks, so that does happen. In my experience it is females who may eat fry or wigglers. This is done by non-alpha females who are doing it to free the male to spawn with them.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
briankchung
Forum Follower

Re: Odd situaion 2 males breeding in same tank

Post by briankchung »

Yes, its the alpha male inside the the second male cave,was so worry when I saw it. Fortunately the alpha came out for food last night and I took out the cave and shock out the fry :D
Take a look this morning and the female is trapped by the alpha male in his own cave hehe~
Thanks for help :cheers: :cheers:
Tank 1
Adult L46 x 8
Juv L46 x 15
Tank 2
L333 x 3
C14 x 4
blk cory x 3
Tank 3
L46 x 7
Tank 4
Kelah x4 18inch