Calcium(?) stone

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jaz
Groupie

Calcium(?) stone

Post by Jaz »

I just went to aquarium shop in Sweden. I talked with the seller there with zebras and I told I haven't had any luck breeding them. He said that he has a friend who has said many times to him that with zebras you should use calcium stone. Asked about him for the reason but he couldn't really tell. Just said that zebs seems to want to breed near those stones. "Maybe" it has something to do with minerals it releases. So I bought 2 stones.

However when I came home I started to google abit and found tons of stuff saying you should not use calcium stones in freshwater aquarium. Soooo. Did I just got screwed? Or could it be used but only in really small pieces?
Attachments
stone.jpg
arbeZ
Forum Follower

Re: Calcium(?) stone

Post by arbeZ »

Calcium stones can raise pH and KH. Unless your water is acidic may be less than 6 you may use it. Or you don't do frequent water changes it may help to maintain pH as reduced by acids generated by Nitrification process. Otherwise no extra benefit from it.
Jaz
Groupie

Post by Jaz »

So has anyone actually used this with zebs?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would never put these into my zebra tanks. They are an uncontrolled method of altering tank parameters. Further, I have never seen or heard of this anywhere else in relation to SA fish.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.