Newly purchased zebra not eating

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

arbeZ
Forum Follower

Newly purchased zebra not eating

Post by arbeZ »

I purchased a pair of zebra sized 2.7" and put in to a tank well cycled. Now it has been 2 weeks and they havent eat anything.
I tried Hikari carni pellets and frozen blood worm and kept even over night close to the caves.
Tank contains enough clay caves and driftwood. I checked water and Ammonia, Nitrite and 20ppm Nitrate.
Temperature is 30-31 celcius.
Wonder how long they can fasting before eating anything. Currently no sunken belly or eyes.
har_eh

Re: Newly purchased zebra not eating

Post by har_eh »

Do you have any other fish in the tank and could you post a picture of the setup?
It might help to add a few cory's, seeing them eat might stimulate the zeb's to start eating too.
Would also consider darkening the tank as much as you can, this will make them more at ease and reduce stress.
Wouldn't worry about them as long as you don't see sunken bellies.

Good luck!
arbeZ
Forum Follower

Post by arbeZ »

Currently no other fish. Cant add corys coz bare bottom tank.
But bottome and side already pasted with black oyama paper.
Tank light is seldom used. Filtration by eheim filter.
Heard Zebra can even fast for a month. Is it true?
Zeno
Groupie

Post by Zeno »

If they have no sunken bellys after 2 weeks, you can be pretty sure they have eaten 'something'.

Greetz, Zeno
arbeZ
Forum Follower

Post by arbeZ »

Zeno wrote:If they have no sunken bellys after 2 weeks, you can be pretty sure they have eaten 'something'.

Greetz, Zeno
Thanks Zeno. Today taken out to see again. Their bellies are not sunken but flat. imo nothing to eat inside tank except driftwood or somethimg on it.

Attached frozen bloodworms to a weight and kept near their caves. then covered tank to make it complete dark. 1 hr later removed it. but cant see eaten or not.
Seller told me he fed Hikari carni pellets. but i gave it for initial first week. no bite marks on pellets.

what is the best thing to influence them to eat?
arbeZ
Forum Follower

Post by arbeZ »

Well, finally they start feeding on Repashy meat pie. Looks like they cant resist it.