Ideal tank size

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

redtigrinus

Ideal tank size

Post by redtigrinus »

What would you all say is the ideal tank size for breeding zebra plecos in?
Jaz
Groupie

Re: Ideal tank size

Post by Jaz »

I'm not a professional breeder of plecos (yet) :) but next time I get a tank I will go for around 200 litres. Then I probably gonna order a custom tank so I can get a tank maybe 20-25 cm high, around 150cm long and then around 50cm wide. It seems to be a little harder to keep water parameters good in small tanks. But this also depends on the colony size and if you gonna decorate it or not.
Mr. Johnson
Groupie

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Depends on how many plecos you want to keep.
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

I have my group of 12 adults in a 40 gal breeder. Good luck.
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I had a colony of 13 in a 30B (36x18x13tall). And got 100s of fry over the years. I also lost 4 of the fish over a 4.5 year period. I currently also have a 33L (48x12x13) holding 15 F1s and 2 wc adult males I am anxiously awaiting a spawn from.

Please note that I am wanted in several countries as a known serial overtstocker :roll:
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

I've had zebs in 2ft, 3ft and 4ft. Just remember they won't range very far for food and tend to like to stick around their own territory.

In a 2ft, I only had 1ft wide and about 15" high and I don't think they particularly liked having their caves so near to the front where I could see them better.

My 3ft is only 15" wide and 15" or 18" ( forget which) and they seem to like it better. Given the choice to upgrade I would probably go for 18" wide and maybe only 15" high as zebs don't particually need much height in the tank and what little light comes into their tank in a shallow one might grow a few anubias plants on dw?

The 4ft is only 15" wide and 15" high and again, I am not real sure they appreciate having a shallow depth like that. I think a 18" deep would offer more cover and see them come out a little bit more, but then thats a big floor space and they may not find food if it scatters up either end away from their territories.