Perfect cave sizes?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Mr. Johnson
Groupie

Perfect cave sizes?

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Hey guys,

I recently got a group of 5 zebra plecos. They are all 2-2.5''. I currently have them in a 75g and expect to get another 5 zebras within the week which are also the same size. I expect to keep this group together for a long time.

I'm about to order and make some caves for them. I'm going to be cutting some slate and using silicone to glue them together.

I currently have plans to make two cave sizes. Five (5) of the caves will be 5"L x 1.25"W x 1"H. The other five (5) caves will be 5"L x 1.5"W x 1"H.

What do you guys thing? Should I add other sizes to the cave selection I current have planned?
TwoTankAmin

Re: Perfect cave sizes?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have found that zebras, being a smallish plec, need smaller caves. You may find your larger size, 5"L x 1.5"W x 1"H, to be too large an opening. Most of my caves are 1 inch square, 1 inch round and a few as much as 1.25x1.25 openings. Remember the male needs to be able to trap the female. Also be sure to have more caves than males. besides claiming them for spawning both younger males and all females will shelter/hid in them short term or overnight.

Plecs are territorial and they will fight. The "loser" needs a place to run away and hide in where it is out of sight. Extra caves, wood and rocks can all help in this respect.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Mr. Johnson
Groupie

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Thanks for the advice. This is exactly the information I need. I'll make them 1"x1" then.

I'm thinking 10 caves for 10 plecos, plus a bunch of rock work.

In your experience, should I have more caves?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A few extra caves can't hurt and wood is good too. Especially if the fish can hide in or under it.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Mr. Johnson
Groupie

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Ok, thanks for the tips.

I'll try to post some FTS when I get my caves ready and rescape with some new rocks.