Dry spell

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Robert

Dry spell

Post by Robert »

Hi,

I went through a time when there were eggs pretty consistently from Febuary until June.

There has been no breeding activity since June. Is it normal for them to have a breeding season or are my breeding days over? I have not changed anything else about the tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Robert

I find the same thing, although I find the season tends to be between april to september. What country do you live in? It does seem to be possible to induce a spawn, but I prefer to leave them within the season... i.e. give them a bit of a rest!

As far as them being seasonal fish I have heard mixed opinions. Initially I was informed that they bred during the rainy season, i.e. increased water levels, higher flow, slight drop in temperature followed by an increase. Then I was informed that they have the ability to breed all year round in the wild. How often this happens, I am unsure.

It certainly is possible to induce a spawn outwith what would be recognised as the "breeding season", but I think this can lead to over breeding the fish. Everyone needs a bit of rest!! :lol:
Robert Hadath
Forum Follower

Breeding Season

Post by Robert Hadath »

I live in Canada.

The next question I have is based on setting up a breeding arrangement of fish. I have 14 fish and they seem to have bred come and go in the caves I use. When I had one male out with his babies I would place a new cave in the exact same place. (The only place in the 70 gallon they seem to want to breed.) Then another male would take its place. At one time I had two seperate males raising their fry in the fry tank. Now nothing.

Do you think I should try to break up the group of 14 into two seperate groups or should I just leave things and wait for a new breeding season?

Thanks,

Robert