tankmates

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

sparkee
Groupie

tankmates

Post by sparkee »

has anyone had any experances with keeping bristlenoses with zebras. a couple of days ago i added 2 and today i noticed them stealing the zebras prawns and the zebra backed off(what a whimp its only an inch long and he is about 4 inches).
will they cause problems with my zebras?

sparkee
Kimbo
Forum Follower

Post by Kimbo »

I would think its best that you didnt have any fish that would outcompete the zebras for food
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

I have thought about putting some young Bristlenose Catfish i have in with my Zebras, but Bristlenose Catfish need cooler water than Zebras.

Competetion for food with the zebras is something to watch for, as they are slow eaters and most of the food might be eaten by the time they get to it.

It may work for you, but i prefer a species tank for Zebras.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

I have had bristlenoses with zebra's some years ago. My conclusion is that it doesn't work. :(

Bristlenoses are very bold and the zebra's get intimidated. This will result in the zebra's not coming out anymore and not getting enough food.
The bristlenoses will quickly outgrow the zebra's and this will even worsen the situation.

I would strongly recommend to find another home for the bristlenoses.

Good luck.