Cutting Anubias Nana rhizome - toxic for zebs?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

dreville
Forum Follower

Cutting Anubias Nana rhizome - toxic for zebs?

Post by dreville »

Hi,

I've heard and read that cutting the anubias nana rhizome, or actually pretty much any part of it, releases a toxic substance. This substance may be toxic to shrimp and other inverts. Some people say this is a myth.

Even though I do have red cherry shrimp with my zebras, my main concern is if it would be toxic to zebras.

Has anyone had firsthand experience with this?

Thanks!
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Re: Cutting Anubias Nana rhizome - toxic for zebs?

Post by mistern2005 »

I've never heard of this. I cut my small Anubias nana 'petite' all the time in my old tank with my zebras and had no ill effects.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
dreville
Forum Follower

Re: Cutting Anubias Nana rhizome - toxic for zebs?

Post by dreville »

mistern2005 wrote:I've never heard of this. I cut my small Anubias nana 'petite' all the time in my old tank with my zebras and had no ill effects.
Thanks for replying!
I just got a big bunch of Anubias nana 'petite' which I can probably cut into a few separate rhizomes. I've got some other anubias gold/yellow variant that has the ugly green spot algae which really want to trim off.
This is good to know. :D

As for the toxicity information, I read it here, close to the end: http://www.planetinverts.com/breeding%2 ... nshin.html
I was referred to that link from here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... ubias.html which also has some good info on getting more growth out of your anubias nana.