Mixing Adults and Juveniles/ Babies

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Anton

Mixing Adults and Juveniles/ Babies

Post by Anton »

Is it ok to mix adult zebras and juveniles/ babies in one tank. I have 2 adults and 5 juveniles/ babies in a tank and so far everything seems well. Won't the young ones get stunted? I make sure there's enough food to go around and do weekly water change.

Thanks for your replies, guys!
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Re: Mixing Adults and Juveniles/ Babies

Post by mistern2005 »

It isn't a problem. Many folks keep juveniles with adults, especially after breeding!
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Most folks, including myself, who breed zebras will tell you they have found that the fry grow faster when left in the breeding tank than the do if they are removed to a grow out tank.

Imo, one of the keys is to provide the fry with small hiding places where they can fit but the bigger fish can not.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Yeah I have adults and various size youngsters in the same tank with no problems
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
Anton

Post by Anton »

Thanks for your replies, guys!

My 5 juveniles clump together under the base of the sponge filter and push and shove one another. The two adults don't seem to mind them and just stay in different half-pots (caves). Note that these are not related fish. The 5 juveniles came from a recently imported batch.

What is the best food to give them to ensure proper groth and development? Will frozen blood worms and pellets do?

Thank you.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

I feed mine everything from frozen brineshrimp and discus food to tetra prima and lobster eggs
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
Anton

Post by Anton »

Do you guys only feed at night considering they are nocturnal? Or do you guys feed them twice a day, morning and evening?

Thanks!
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Any tanks I have with fry & adults I feed what they can eat 2 or 3 times daily if I am around to give them more chance to grow quicker.

Congrats if they are new fry/juvis, you will need to do more regular water changes if you do more feeding. :)
Anton

Post by Anton »

I haven't really seen my juveniles eat since they're always clumped together under the base of a sponge filter. I hope they're eating and getting enough to grow and develop properly. I'll try to do water changes twice a week to ensure cleanliness and hasten growth.

Do your little ones readily take pellets?

Thanks!
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

I don't feed fry pellets only small crushed food like, crushed tetra prima, carnivore pellets, & other mixes also microworm & also don't forget your greens. :wink:
BRIAN09
Groupie

Post by BRIAN09 »

"I haven't really seen my juveniles eat" I would not worry about that to much as i did not see any of my zebs eat for about 2 months after getting them :P now i have a L.E.D moon light on my tank just so i can see abit more of what goes on at night :)
Plus i also feed my youngsters Tetra Prima Mini Granules , Ocean Nutrition instant baby brine shrimp as well as other small size frozen foods