Maintence

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Maintence

Post by Shell231 »

I have brought a new gravel hoover, i went to hovver out the bottom of the zeb tank last night, but all the sand was going up the hoover what do you people do if u have sand as a substrate?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

You'll develop a technique. I have sand in my 4ft tank and I don't hoover out much sand at all.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Shell
There will always be a bit of sand getting sucked out when using a syphon.
When using the syphon (hoover) adjust its height to suit (roughly an inch or two above the sand), until the debris on the sand is getting sucked up but only small amounts of sand is.

It is a bit trial and error.

Andrew.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Ayep, light skimming of the sand will give you better results and less of the sand will be sucked up. Sadly it aint as simple as with gravel where you just stick in the vacume and move it around a bit. I use a simple hose, and skim the sand.......you could stir it up slightly with one hand whilst hovering above the sand with the hose/vac.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]