Too small to be sold?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Hitch
Groupie

Too small to be sold?

Post by Hitch »

Hi

I have a quick question for you guys. At what size of zeb fry would you be comfortable to sell (if you are a breeder) or comfortable to buy/transport?

I always thought 1.5" TL is a good size to sell pleco fry, but recently seen them sold at sizes of 1/2" to 3/4".

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
TwoTankAmin

Re: Too small to be sold?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

My minimums have always been at least 1.25 inch TL (1 in. SL) and six months old. However, almost all the fish I have sold over the years have been older and bigger.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Hitch
Groupie

Post by Hitch »

thats what I have always seen also. 1/2" to 3/4" just made me a little nervous..lol.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

1/2" to 3/4" are probably 2-3 months old at the most.

I have had success shipping juveniles that are 1.25"TL, but I haven't tried anything smaller than that and don't think I will.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

My rule is 1" or over total length, wouldn't want to post any smaller than that as I starve for 24 hours for the journey and that won't be good for too small a fry :?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I never starve zebra babies before shipping- larger ones yes. I am afraid if there is any delay in shipping they may die of hunger. I also don't believe fry can produce enough waste in the bag to create issues especially since I dose a small amount of Amquel in the the shipping water. I should add that I do ship only 1 fish per bag with zebras.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.