can current be to fast when zebs are young ??

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

craigzeb
Obsessed!!

can current be to fast when zebs are young ??

Post by craigzeb »

i have recently bought 3 zebs they are about a year old 1 is about 2 inch and the other 2 1.5 inch i currently have a filter turning over 7 times the tanks volume.i do have another filter but when its on it blows the water around quite fast and the food. this extra filter does 9 times the tanks turnover so in total it would be 16 times. the women i got them off says that when they are young they dont need much current and will use to much energy up trying to swim in the current????? i have more than enough caves and bodwood for hideouts.
what are poeples thoughts and opinions please cheers ?????
TwoTankAmin

Re: can current be to fast when zebs are young ??

Post by TwoTankAmin »

In the wild babies are born at the start of the rainy season- the time of year when flow is the strongest. If you have proper cover for them where they can get out of the direct flow- they are going to do just fine. Zebras are "designed" to live in fast flowing waters and they can live a long time- 20+ years (not sure of the max.).

That said, just because they can live in high flow does not meant they have to. As long as there is plenty of O in the water they do fine in a lot less flow.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.