Expectant zebra dad!!!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Brilliant, Adam, keep the pictures coming :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks guys, :lol: I will get some more pictures as the little fellas develop. I wonder what's up with their dad as he either eats the eggs or kicks the fry out of the cave. :x I might have no choice but to remove his next spawn as Rob has suggested.
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

Awww Adam that is so cool dude! Congratulations :D and nice pics of your eggs
Cute ^_^
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Congratulations Adam :D
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Congratulations Adam, :lol: :lol:

You knew it had to happen one day !!!!!!. You just have to fine tune a few things to get a few more young.
Terry gave me the good news when I was there last week!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Des.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks Lied, Andrew C and Des,

I still have a way to go Des, two fry out of four spawns is pretty poor. :oops: I really didn't want to do this but I may have to start taking the males spawn from him and try to hatch them artificially, I can't really wait until they hatch as he has eaten most of them by then. When I first notice he has spawned he usually has a good sized clutch which gradually reduces day by day as he eats them. He then kicks out the fry that have managed to survive his canabalistic tendencies.

Adam
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Adam,

Sure sounds like one of my males. Do you have another male that you can swap with. That may help. Removing that male with another male would change the colony and may stop the egg eating. Good luck.

Ken
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi KenW,

I was considering doing just that but I didn't want to run the risk of interrupting the spawning by upsetting the heirachy in the tank. There is another male in the tank who has spawned once before but he ate his spawn too, mind you I think I spooked him by using a flash light too much.

Thanks for the advice.

Adam
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Hi Adam!

I don't know if you have get answered but i have also same problem, i think that becouse i'm too courious :oops: but my zebra's eggs have been now two days in the fry trap and they all are fine. I have two airstones in the fry trap and the eggs are moving on the bottom all of time, they also turns up and down but stays below the airstones, i think that it's good.

Congralutations!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Arctic,

Looks like I may have to do the same as you and hatch the eggs artificially. You have already achieved a successful artificial hatch with your L66 so your method is obviously good, I can't believe that all 33 hatched and you didn't lose one. :shock: Hopefully you will be just as successful with the zebras too. Have you had any problems with fungused eggs or infertile eggs so far?

Thanks.

Adam
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Hi Adam!

I lose 6 in the beginning, but they have something wrong in their youlksack and they died, after that there is no died youngsters.

Two first weeks ithey have eaten artemia (what is called very cold artemia) self raised artemia, after two weeks they eat zucchini, artemia, Jbl novotabs and Dr.Bassleers biofishfood L and they have all survived, i do also water changes every another day.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds like the L66 fry are doing very well. :D

When you say that 6 of the fry had a problem in the yolk sac do you mean they didn't hatch properly? This is where the male would have helped by eating the egg shell.

That's a good variety of foods you have the L66 fry on. Would the "very cold artemia" be cyclop-eeze? I believe that they originate from a lake in the arctic somewhere. I too do water changes every other day in order to keep the conductivity/TDS nice and low.

Adam
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hi Ad

well done mate i knew you could do it, fingers crossed hope they do well, im sure they will.

hope you and fish are all well
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks Dan,

Hope all's well with you, I tell you what it's been hard work getting this far and it looks like things are not going to get any better if I have to artificially hatch them. :roll: It's well worth it though, I finally have some fry even if it's only two. :lol:

Take care.

Adam.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

sorry for coming on this late.....but GREAAAT JOB ADAM!!!!!
Hopefullly the male will stp eating the eggs!!! Wait.......... have you been at it with that dam torch again????? :lol:
Just throw the batteries away and slowly walk away from the trash...
Good Luck!!!!
Jerms