Tube down....

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Fern
Obsessed!!

Tube down....

Post by Fern »

My larger female zebras tube has been down for like 2 weeks now........ She is full grown and the adult male has been in his cave as usual....
How long are their tubes down before they seek out a male?

30g tank with a wc adult pair and 3 2" F1's. Only the adult male has taken a proper slate zebra sized cave, everyone else is using nooks and crannies.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Re: Tube down....

Post by Fern »

well her tube is still down and no eggs yet........
Tankfull Tropicals
Forum Follower

Post by Tankfull Tropicals »

Hi Fern; I`m sure glad you are active on this site, I wish there was more traffic.
Is it possible that your female has spawned in a place you can`t seeÉ Also are you sure you have a mature maleÉ I hope you have some luck and produce your first batch.
I think My 7 wild Zebras are imature still. They are only about 2 and a half inches now. How big are you fish. :?: Do you have pics of your tank :?:
" Always be Tankfull "
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

The 2 adults are 3" (standard length) I've had them a year and a half. The 3 F1 I've had for 2 years and they are 2-2.5" so not quite there on breeding. The male is proven, he came from a breeding tank, the female is not. Soooo She should only breed with the wild male who is in a cave that I can easily see into. I will get a pic and mark their places on it, that may help?
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

My zebs seem to breed around the 4 year mark, a lot of people say at least 3 years, but in practice its more closer to 4 years.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
pleckingpob
Forum Follower

Post by pleckingpob »

does the female interact with the male a lot or hang round the males cave?plecs wat av bred in past always sort of paird of n stayd together . a ad 2 starlite briselnose plecs a was tryn to breed bt never hapend the female was a littel bit older than the male and that always lookd gravid . a hope she lays 4 u soon .al b gttn 4 more zebras in nxt week or so al tk some piks n pt tm on so u cn tk a luk
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

The adult pair in question are wild caught so who knows how old they are.
The only interaction I see is noses peak out when I do a water change. I feed at lights out..... Other than the peeking out during water changes I just count the tips of tails from time to time to make sure they are still all there. I look in the males cave weekly with a small flash light to see if anything is going on, that and he is getting ok with the light so hopefully if there are eggs someday he wont freak out on me......
No pic yet, Had to do some major fish shuffling this week with most of my other tanks so I haven't had the time.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

Left side of tank
Right side of tank
That's just one male, he just shows up in both pics so I figured I would mark him in both.
So 1 WC Male 1 WC female and 3 F1's in a 30g. I couldn't do anything about the glare :oops:
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

:lol: dont all talk at once :lol: I know my tanks aren't all super pretty but the water is clean and the fish are healthy :aok: I run about 1,500 gallons so pretty isn't something I look for in most tanks :wink:
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

Great looking zebs, I'd put in some more hiding places though. Maybe try and create some tunnels.
I did the same and my zebra's move around more. This way they'll look up each-other's company easier.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

I have been looking for some more innert rock to add or even more of that silly plastic rock, that what one of the F1's is holed up in.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Wow, really pretty looking tank you have there :loldude:

Heeeheeeee, had to say it.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

Ya I get the scratch and dent specials :loldude: Think I paid $5 for that tank :wink: I average 20-30 tanks running at a time so I only clean the insides :wink: water spots and algae are a common thing around here 8)
But ya I fully agree it is a fugly tank :lol: but it holds water and they are happy :wink:
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have old eyes- I could barely see any fish in your pic at all.

I normally sex hypans now based on venting- tubes are often visaible long before they will use them. Its often easiest to see them clearly right after a water change.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

Only 2 tails and a bit of one can be seen, 2 are well hidden.... and my pic sucks :mrgreen: No way to get even a semi decent pic of their tank.
The 2 adults I know are male and female. The 3 juveniles I am guessing are 1F 1M and an unknown, wont worry about them for the next year or 2 though, they are still too young yet.