can zebs breed in any types of water ??

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

craigzeb
Obsessed!!

can zebs breed in any types of water ??

Post by craigzeb »

can zebs breed in any typ of water my tap water is 7.5ph and 12mg/ nitrates currently cycling a tank to add a pair of zebs in or will i have to use buffers to lower ph and nitrates cheers all

craig
TwoTankAmin

Re: can zebs breed in any types of water ??

Post by TwoTankAmin »

While pH is not a huge consderation for zebras, hardness, (or more appropriately TDS) is. In the wild they breed in response to the onset of the seasonal change from dry to rainy. This change is accompanied by certain significant changes in the water params. Zebras thrive on change :-)

Dry season: Water temps higher, flow lower, tds higher, water dirtier, food less plentiful.

Onset of rainy season: Storms bring rains and storms also are accompanied by a noticable drop in barometric pressure which the fish can definitely sense.

Rainy season: Water temps lower, flow stronger, tDS lower, water cleaner, food plentiful.

This is not to say that the only way to have them breed in captivity is to simulate the dry and rainy seasons. many folks have had results by simply ignoring the fish until one day nature just takes its course.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

thanks for the info i know about the seasonal thing so mite try that a few times once i get my beauties then if not ill just let them go at it and see what the outcome is want it to happen so i can breed tehm and keep the population going. want to start smal then add loads to a massive tank and build them a big home to live in. just worrid my tap water mite not let this happen just hope and wishing i have loads of success
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

Mine are happy in a PH of 7-7.5 and a GH of along 8.
Can't say on breeding because mine have yet to breed.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Mine are in PH of 7.5 and hard water although have never tested my TDS but I have L260 and L174 breeding amongst others so don't think its a problem :wink: just wish the zebs would join in the spawning :roll:
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

well i have my tank cycled now and ready for them ph is at 7-7.5 gh is 6 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 12mg/l so all looks well going to add the other filter in now too which will create flow and extra clean water so hopefully all will go well fingers crossed on spawns :) time to start the family thanks for your feedback guys :aok: