Algae

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

peanut

Algae

Post by peanut »

Nice looking zeb :) make sure they poop.. Are you feeding them hikari? I read from some forum saying that their pleco died due to bloat, could be internal parasites, so just keep monitor your zebs make sure things are under control :)
Tankfull Tropicals
Forum Follower

Re: Algae

Post by Tankfull Tropicals »

I also breed Bristle nose and keep a few in my large Zebra tank for just that reason. They do not bother anybody and keep my 108gallon spotless. They stay 4" or less too. :)
" Always be Tankfull "
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Just an observation. In the wild zebras and bn do not live together. Zebras live deep and fairly fast waters where it is dark and so are pretty much devoid of plants or serious algae. According to the L-Number Catalogue on PlanetCatfish, the only species of Ancistrus which comes from the middle Xingu (aka Big Bend) is Ancistrus sp. (L255). I would doubt they share habitat with zebras since their diet is primarily vegetarian.

This doesn't mean you can not put bn and zebras together. Its just that many zebra owners, especially breeders, do not. I do a lot of planted tanks, however I no longer use substrate or many plants in most of my pleco tanks.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

2 inch is borderline breeding size from what I understand....
I've got 2 that are just as fat :wink:
fluffyninja
Forum Follower

Post by fluffyninja »

peanut wrote:Nice looking zeb :) make sure they poop.. Are you feeding them hikari? I read from some forum saying that their pleco died due to bloat, could be internal parasites, so just keep monitor your zebs make sure things are under control :)
No not feeding them hikari mate , they spawned 3 weeks ago and she (i presume) is not as fat any more so i hope it was just stuffed full of eggs , I've only had them a year and a half and i guess that was the first spawn from which i've found 4 little wrigglers that are still doing good in a baby 15 ltr tank , might have lost one but i have such a big tank with so many hiding places i hope not.
fluffyninja
Forum Follower

Post by fluffyninja »

Fern wrote:2 inch is borderline breeding size from what I understand....
I've got 2 that are just as fat :wink:
Now I would say you're certainly right the fish in the picture is the one that spawned i'm certain and she's barely 2 inches.
fluffyninja
Forum Follower

Post by fluffyninja »

TwoTankAmin wrote:Just an observation. In the wild zebras and bn do not live together. Zebras live deep and fairly fast waters where it is dark and so are pretty much devoid of plants or serious algae. According to the L-Number Catalogue on PlanetCatfish, the only species of Ancistrus which comes from the middle Xingu (aka Big Bend) is Ancistrus sp. (L255). I would doubt they share habitat with zebras since their diet is primarily vegetarian.

This doesn't mean you can not put bn and zebras together. Its just that many zebra owners, especially breeders, do not. I do a lot of planted tanks, however I no longer use substrate or many plants in most of my pleco tanks.
I kept them on their own in the end as the algae problem dissapeared when i changed the length of time the light was on.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

They look like healthy zebras to me!

I was battling algae for the longest time. I got a smaller light (now about 1.5 WPG) and only leave it on for six hours a day and my algae woes are over.

Hope this helps.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...