Second Spawn!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Second Spawn!

Post by mistern2005 »

Yesterday morning I noticed that Lloyd was back in the cave that he spawn in previously - he hasn't returned since my wife and I took the fry away from him. I noticed he was acting like he was guarding eggs, but since it was the first time he has returned to the cave I figured it was wishful thinking. Last night he was still there so I gave it a closer look and he IS guarding another clutch of eggs.

The first spawn was December 20/21, and this spawn was January 19/20. I'm surprised it was so soon - especially since I recently did a lot of major maintenance work in the tank a week ago.

I am hopeful Lloyd does another great job with this brood of fry and I get lucky with some more healthy "junior stripes".

On a side note, the original five babies are doing well in small breeder trap that's in the new grow out tank. They seem to eat well each night and keep getting bigger.

My thought is the main variable that has changed everything was introducing live foods. I've been feeding live California Blackworms - a lot of blackworms! The zebras really go after the worms and I think that was the missing link.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Re: Second Spawn!

Post by Joby »

Woohoo! hope Lloyd does a super job again :D
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

A big congrats, 4-5 weeks is quite normal, you will be counting the days down now until Feb 20th. :loldude:
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

That's interesting, I figured it would be 6-8 weeks between spawns.

You BET!!! I'm ready for February 20th!

Actually, it feels darn good getting to this point!
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...