Male not in a cave yet

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

MattW

Male not in a cave yet

Post by MattW »

Hi,

my oldest male (5years) should be sexually mature by now doesn't seem to take a cave. he is in and out of the caves i do have but never stays in one place, and i commonly find him with the other younger zebs. i gathered that once he had found a cave he likes he would just stay there and boss that cave/area. and after 2 years they should have sorted out a 'pecking order' by now?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that there is not a mature female; therefore he doesnt feel the need to take up a cave yet?

I was just wondering at what point should a male be using a cave? and if he doesn't, does that mean he isn't 'up' to the task of being the Dom Male?

Any advice/ comments would be welcome.
8 X L46 - 1 Male. Unsure of rest as still a bit too young
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Re: Male not in a cave yet

Post by mistern2005 »

Recently my zebras spawned, so I figure something must be right. However none of my males, including the one that spawned, ever really stuck to the same cave. I also have a high cave to fish ratio, so that might have something to do with it as well (lots of options, no need to be picky). Sometimes my males don't hang out in the caves at all. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
MattW

Re: Male not in a cave yet

Post by MattW »

Ok, thanks for the comments
8 X L46 - 1 Male. Unsure of rest as still a bit too young