Question About Trapping

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

LuckyGuppy
Forum Follower

Question About Trapping

Post by LuckyGuppy »

Hi All,

So my fish seem to be trying to spawn for the first time, but I have a question about it. I have read on here that the female can stay trapped for days. What I've noticed in my tank is that she will be trapped all day and at night time, both of them leave the cave. In the morning, she is trapped again for the entire day. This has gone on for at least 3 days. What that means is that if I hadn't checked the cave late at night, I would have thought that she was trapped for 3 days now. Sooooo, when we talk about her being trapped for x number of days, would that include them taking a break at night? Has anyone actually verified that they NEVER leave the cave for that period of time? Any responses would be appreciated.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Re: Question About Trapping

Post by mistern2005 »

My zebras would do what you are saying. In fact, the female would only be trapped for a few hours at a time. Sometimes the trappings would be during the day, sometimes they would occur in the evenings at lights-out time. All together it hasn't been but a few months that I started noticed the trappings until I had my first spawn. One other thing to consider...is it a male trapping a female? I had males trapping males and females trapping males (yes, females trapping males). I guess after a while my zebras figured it out and a male trapped a female and I ended up getting lucky with a little spawn....my first spawn!
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
LuckyGuppy
Forum Follower

Re: Question About Trapping

Post by LuckyGuppy »

Mistern -

Thanks for responding. You know I really don't know for sure the gender of either. I figured it wasn't a male trapping a male, because I've only had 4 taking up caves and all were accounted for in their respective caves. Plus, there didn't seem to be any serious aggression towards the fish that was trapped. The only one who is a little beaten up is the trapper. I do not know if it's a female trapping a male, but I hope not :? . I didn't know that this could last or months. I thought if they kept doing this every single day that I would expect to see something soon. This shouldn't be the first spawn for either of the fish, so I don't know why they would be confused about how it works. Anywho, I will keep all posted about what happens. As of now, they're out of the cave again after being in it all day. Maybe the male (if it's a male) decides that he's gonna go get some food if she's not gonna give it up.