Food?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Fern
Obsessed!!

Food?

Post by Fern »

What do you guys feed your zebras?
LuckyGuppy
Forum Follower

Re: Food?

Post by LuckyGuppy »

Right now, I'm feeding all food from Ken's Fish:

Brine Shrimp Sticks
Earthworm Sticks
Meat and Spirulina Wafers (I think this is a new food)

I don't even want to take the risk with bloodworms and I haven't gotten (may never get) to the point where I'm making my own frozen food. They seem to really like the foods I'm giving them so far.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

I've been feeding mine; blood worms, hikari carnivore pellets, and new life spectrum thera A
Is there anything else they like? I feel that's not enough variety for them....

I will search for some earthworm sticks. I don't like Kens ingredients though.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have been feeding kens foods, including earthworm sticks to my zebras for years.

My complete list of foods:
Earthworm sticks and flakes, color bits from ken. Sometimes veggie sticks are added.
Frozen hikari blood worms, brine shrimp, tubifex worms, daphnia and mysis shrimp.
Hikari sinking wafers.
Nutrafin Max Flake.

Fry get:
kens growth food #00 size.
NLS Growth.
Hikari frozen cyclop-eeze, baby brine shrimp and daphnia.
Adult foods above that get soft- (no bloods nor tubifex).

All my fish, including fry, are fed kens spirulina w/ garlic flake every Saturday evening.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

Hmm I would think flake wouldn't be a good thing to feed them? Wouldn't it be mushy and stuck to the filters by the time they come out to eat? What kind of wafers from hikari?
I will have to give them some brine tonight, I have it on hand for everyone else but never thought to give it to the zebras :P

Anyone else care to chime in? I believe in lots of variety for my fish and I feel my zebras aren't getting the best variety.

I'm sure kens is good food, I'm just picky about the processed foods I feed, no hormones, no weird color enhancers, no strange fillers..... I wont feed tubifex worms just because of where they are harvested from.... My fish eat much better than I do :P
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Hikari's Frozen Bio-Pure line is pretty dang safe- including their tubifex.

What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

I will have to pick up a bag of those wafers this weekend! They look like they will be a hit with all of my other bottom dwellers too.