URGENT! How to feed the babys ( L046)?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

lclobo
Forum Follower

URGENT! How to feed the babys ( L046)?

Post by lclobo »

Hello guys:

I know that if I look at in this forum , somewhere I would find the answer. However, due to the fact that I have been too busy this week and the babys are coming, I need your help quickly.

How do I feed the babys? I think that the yolk sac should be exhausted in about four or five days. I also agree with that Chris(TTA) has said in another post: "How much to feed is always a trial and error type thing that involves learning how much of what one's fish will eat." But as this is my first spawning and apparently there are 10 wringglers, I would like to save them to the fullest and not lose them over-feeding them.

** I'm scheduling to separate the babys in a tank of 30 liters, with bare bottom, connected to the main tank (same filter, but with a pump 400 liters per hour, circulating water between the two tanks.

Thanks

Luciano
John

Post by John »

Anything you would feed the parents except bloodworm.
Just make shure you make it small enough for them.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
lclobo
Forum Follower

Post by lclobo »

Thanks john;
But how many times a day should I feed them? Would i need to siphon off the bottom every time I feed them?
And one more question: Do you think a flow of 500 liters / hour to an aquarium of 30 liters is too intense for the babys?

Thank you very much!!

Luciano
John

Post by John »

I think a flow like that is much to intense for food to settle down and beeing picked up by the little ones.
I feed once daily in the evening after i syphoned the bottom of dirt and leftover food from the previous day.
Greetings,
John
lclobo
Forum Follower

Post by lclobo »

Again, thank you, john.

In fact, the flow is high enough to hinder the feeding babys, so I thought to disconnect the pump for some minutes in time to feed them. My biggest concern is whether this heavy flow can damage the babys causing deformities (bent spine, bloated belly) or even hurting their development by having to spend more energy to swim.

Best regards

Luciano
John

Post by John »

They won't feed in a few minutes, they need settled food whole night to feed on.
Greetings,
John
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Re: URGENT! How to feed the babys ( L046)?

Post by GlockFu »

Just feed them the same food. I feed mine hikari carnivore pellets, I don't make them smaller or anything... they'll eat it just like that. I just estimate by estimating their size of their stomach and how much to feed them. Put the food in there at night and see if there's left overs, if not, add one more pellet the next day and so on untill you get left overs and then you can figure out how much they eat but remember they are growing so you will need to add more in a month or so.