Sick zebra what should I do?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

hgau999
Forum Follower

Sick zebra what should I do?

Post by hgau999 »

Got a zebra with with what looks like cyst growing on the left pectoral fin. What meds can I use? I got some melafix and api tetracycline would those help?
civicr
Obsessed!!

l

Post by civicr »

poor zeb looks very stressed out and needs a good feed not sure how to treat him tho
2x wild zebs
4x mature zebs
6x juvi zebs
3x zeb fry 2days old 11/09/08
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I could not make out anything in that pic.

Being netted for pic could have stressed the fish.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I can see it. It's not on the tip of the fin, but on the very top of the fin. It does looks very stressed.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
hgau999
Forum Follower

Surgery

Post by hgau999 »

Well after leaving it in a QT tank for the last 3 days I noticed it's gotten larger. I searched net for cyst treatment and most places says doing surgery. So I did surgery this afternoon. Took a needle and soaked it in vodka to sanitize it. Then took the need and poked the cyst and using the tip of the needle to removed a ball of puss, but after closer inspection it started to unravel and I can see it wiggle :shock... gross. Look like some white flat worm Poured a couple of drops of vodka on the parasite, look that done it in. I placed the poor little zebra back in the QT with some Melafix to help with healing. Have to see how he/she does in next few days.
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi hgau999
That will be absolutely brill if it makes it. 8)
Well done for making a decision on what to do,that has probably saved its life.
Best of luck to you and the zeb. :)

Jerry :D
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
John

Post by John »

Well done, hope little zeb is doing ok on the IC :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Zeb surgery must have been a scarey option, but well done, hope it works and the little fella recovers :)
hgau999
Forum Follower

Day 8 of Melafix treatment from surgery

Post by hgau999 »

Today was the 8 th day after the Melafix treatment fish looks to fattened up a little. However looks still very pale in color. While during the 25% water change I noticed red worms in the water and possibly one was attached to the fish. I'm wondering the paleness of the fish and the worms would mean some type of parasite in the digestive track. I am now treating the fish for this, I've read some place ppl have been successful using Safe-Guard Dewormer (fenbendazole). I've placed .25 grams the 5 gallon QT. I will try a 3 day treatment adding .125 grams in next two days. Any one have experience with this?
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Sorry can't help with treatment but just to say I'm rooting for the little fella and yes looks a bit chunkier :)
hgau999
Forum Follower

Day 3 of fenbendazole

Post by hgau999 »

Day 3 of fenbendazole treatment, zebra still alive however I don't see much improvement. Still saw some red worms in the water. Giving the little guy a break will retreat in a few days.
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

T.C. Tetracycline

Use 1 smal bag per 10 gal of water DO not put more then advised.

Phase 1

- Please do a 25% water change
- apply medicine, as described DO NOT overdose
- Remove carbon filter
- Let it run for 48 hrs
- Another 25% water change
- Let it run for 48 hrs
- Another 25% water change
- let it run for 24 hrs
- Put new carbon in your filter, clean glass from inside it will make them a bit yellowish
- Next day your water will be clear

You will noticed it will get smaller, but it won't disappear the first week.
If you don't see any improvemenet, give them a break for about 2 days then start all over for another week.

Please feed your fish as normal, the other fish won't get affected with the medicine, and it will also prevent the infection to spread out.

My .25 cents.
hgau999
Forum Follower

Day 4

Post by hgau999 »

I was planning to retreat the zebra today after giving it a break from the fenbendazole but after closer inspection after the 25% water change it's seems to be improving, i didn't see any red worms either in the water. Color seems to be coming back on the little guy or gal. Hopefully, things are getting better. I'm holding off any more treatments and just keeping it in the QT tank for another week for observations.
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Well done looking a lot better fingers crossed 8)

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Yes definitely better in colour, good to see :)