Using Other Species to Induce Spawning In Zebras

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Tristan
Obsessed!!

Using Other Species to Induce Spawning In Zebras

Post by Tristan »

One of the fish shops that I bought my zebras from had some in a tank with two breeding pairs of bristle noses. He claimed that the pheromones released by the mating BN's would induce the zebras and get them into the lurvin mood. :D Has anyone tried or heard of this method before. I am not thinking of trying it myself at the moment but would be interested in everyones thougths.
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

An interesting thought.

Though I am not really convinced. I already had spawning bristlenose plecos in the same tank as the zebra's and this didn't induce spawning on them.
On the contrary, the small, shy zebra's feld intimidated by the big, desastrous bristlenose plecos
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I don't know either.... I do know that the Zebra gets over run by other fish quite easily in most respects, so I don't know....

There might be some truth in the hormone side of the story though, as it might seem like the spawns often come close to eachother :D
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I've heard the pheromones could help also, but I do know that in my case, it's been all about the zebras, as they're in a species tank.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]