going on holiday for a week

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

going on holiday for a week

Post by Zebedee »

i'm going on holiday in june for a week and i havent got anyone to come and feed the fish. last year i got my girlfriends mother to feed them daily but this year she is coming with us. i've seen the large feeding 7 day tablet things but not sure if they are any good. what i was planning on doing was doing a good few water changes to get rid of as much nitrates as i can just before i go so they dont build up while i'm away. also my mate says you can get things that release food gradually over the week?
whats the best thing i can do? has anyone else left their fish for a week before? thanks.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i was maybe thinking of one of these. what do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-Vivo-Fish-Au ... 7C294%3A50
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

do a wter change before you leave and don't worry about them. I've left mine for well over a week without issue.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

what about feeding them?
should i get the auto feeder?
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Dont worry about feeding them - they will be fine for a week ;)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
John

Post by John »

Just a big wc and no feeding, they will be fine.
Have a nice holiday :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

nice thanks alot.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

As above thats what I do
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

As long as there are no new to fairly new fry present, not feeding will be fine for a week.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
johnny124

Post by johnny124 »

Hi, sorry to jump on this thread, but have a very similar question.

Instead, I'm looking at going away for 2 weeks - have 3 zebras, which should be circa 8 months old at the time (they vary in size between 1"-2").

Will they be ok? I have a Eheim autofeeder - should I use it (it's a 200 litre community tank, and it worked well for a 1 week holiday before I got my zebras)?

TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

If you can set it to feed the tank once between week one and two it should be ok. The biggest issue when one must leave a tank unattended is the potential build up of undesireble stuff. This could be TDS type stuff, nitrates or potentially ammonia from a spike in waste. Uneaten food and fish poop are two big culprits.

In the wild fish eat a lot les often than we feed them in tanks and as noted above can do fine w/o food for some time. Dont worry about no food as much as you worry about the water quality.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
johnny124

Post by johnny124 »

Thanks twotankamin :)
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

So in both cases less food is best :D
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i had someone come round mid week and fed them blood worm. other than that no feeding. the tank looked immaculate when i got back as i let the algae build up to see if they would eat it and they did they stripped every surface. they were fine when i got back from holiday. i did a big water change before i left for holiday and one when i got back. i've been trying to do less water changes for a while to try and get ready to induce a spawn by dropping the hardness with an ro / tap water mix water change. at the beginning of this week when i woke for work and doing my usual daily hoovering i notice one if my zebs had died. i checked the water levels and they were ok no ammonia no nitrite and nitrates around 20. i did a 40% water change when i got back from work. all other zebs seem fine. i'm just wondering what has caused him/her to perish. its so gutting to find them dead this is my third to die since keeping them just over a year ago. i have 11 left in my tank. do you think i should wait a while before trying to induce a spawn after recent events?
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Yes wait a little longer before doing anything I am sorry to hear you have lost a zeb its not nice and quite worrying at the same time