Zebra's and Ammonia toxicity

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

gtp
Groupie

Zebra's and Ammonia toxicity

Post by gtp »

Ok, here is my problem....

I set up a 100litre tank a few months back. I have had ammonia in there ever since. I have 4 adult zebs in there and a few Cory's.

The PH is around 6.0, Nitrite has never really been above 0.

The Ammonia has been fluctuating between 0.5ppm and 1.5ppm since about a week before the Zebs were added.

I have used copious amounts of various bacteria products - JBL filter-start, Hagen Cycle, Waste Control, Bactinettes, Bactozym etc. I've used Polyfilter and Fluval Ammonia remover with no success.

The only thing I can do to keep it down is small daily/bi-daily water changes and the use of Interpet's Ammonia Remover. I have had to use this Ammonia remover almost on a daily basis to stop the Ammonia getting too high. I think it converts the Ammonia into Ammonium which still appears on the test kit so I am no longer sure how much is Ammonia and how much is Ammonium.

The guys at both of my local Maidenhead Aquatics don't have an answer for it. Its like the bacteria either aren't forming, or just aren't doing their job. I have WAY below the tanks capacity of fish, I have around 1200-1400lpr filtration, plus two Powerheads which give a tank turn-over of around 22-24 times per hour.
The fish I haven't been able to feed much, just some cucumber every other day. I am worried that if I feed them proper stuff with protein in it, then it will sky-rocket the Ammonia, but if I don't feed enough they will starve.

I am really at my wits end. I have no other tank to put them in, so my only other choice is to take them to my local Maidenhead store whilst I try and sort this out. But then I run the risk of one or more 'mysteriously disappearing', despite the risk of acclimitisation problems in one of their tanks.

The fish seem okay in themselves, but I am desperate to get this sorted. Can any of you fellow Zebra fans help me?

I have also found this:

http://www.dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/AmmoniaTox.html

As we know Ammonia is less toxic at a lower PH and temperature than it is at higher. But according to this my Ammonia won't actually start affecting the fish until its about 15ppm plus!
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

What sort of filter are you running?
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
gtp
Groupie

Post by gtp »

2x Fluval internal 3 filters. Each capable of filtering a community tank of around 160 litres. I've tried turning them down to allow the water to go through them slower to see if that helps the bacteria, but so far its made no difference.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I dont know a bunch of the stuff you listed as having added. Stuff in USA and the UK are not the same more often than not. However, a few things I can say which may help some.

First, ammonia and zebras do not mix. Bad things happen. (Same for nitrites and anything but very low nitrates.)

Second, ammonia always result in nitrite and then nitrate under most zebra tank conditions.

Third, many ammonia detoxers work in such a way as to render certain types of ammonia test kits to give false positives. I strongly suggest you check the labels of all the stuff you are adding. Look into Salicylate vs Nessler reagents and ammonia test kits.

Fourth, many fishkeepers, including myself, believe 90% or more of so called cycle in a bottle products are best used as a toilet bowl cleaner.
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
kingie11
Obsessed!!

Post by kingie11 »

hi mate
i had the same problem only to find it was due to very high levels of chloramine in the tap water had to move to prime at 3 times the nornal dose
Steve.
gtp
Groupie

Post by gtp »

So what do you suggest I do? Try putting a massive dose of de-chlorinator (Interpet's Tapsafe) in there and see how it goes? Or take the fish out and give them to Maidenhead aquatics for a week or two?

As I say, the fish don't seem bothered at all. They have been in this water for 8 weeks. Perhaps its due to the low PH of 6.0 and that the Ammonia is only ever around 0.5-1.5?
gtp
Groupie

Post by gtp »

I've just ordered some Prime so I'll give that a go. But in my experience with all the other various products, I can't see it will do much. Its like the Nitrosomonas aren't developing/doing their job, as Nitrites have never rissen above 0ppm.