L046 recovering from ammonia and nitrite crisis in my tanks.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

unungy
Groupie

L046 recovering from ammonia and nitrite crisis in my tanks.

Post by unungy »

Hi to all,

After fighting for 3 days trying to safe my zebra pleco from ammonia and nitrite waters, I need to help them getting them back on their feet.

Please recommend the best diet, supplements, snacks etc
Please recommend something that will help them recover from the above mention crisis.

Your help is much appreciated.

Saul
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Sounds to me that your tank(s) were not cycled properly. What are your water parameters? what & how often are you feeding them?
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Yes I know I made the mistake just to have a air sponge filter in the tank.
Temp is 80 PH 7.6 amonia 0 nitirite 0. I feed them only onces per day at night
blackworms twice a week and flacke the rest of the day. and some cucumber.

The are very happy now, I just setup my new FX5 in the tank with a good overflow. They seem to enjoy being there.

Should I chance their diet?

your advise will be appreciated.

Saul
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

I think you should set the temp to 85-86F and try to keep your pH neutral. Clean water is a most for Z's, do partial water changes at least once a week....I do them daily. Don't let leftovers decompose in the tank.

There's tons of threads regarding diet, depending on their size and age. Do a search in this forum & you will find just about all topics covered. Good luck.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Messing with your pH when you have no experience with doing so is a very bad idea, IMO. The fish themselves couldn't care less. I've kept them at 7.8 for years. Ammonia is more toxic as the pH increases, so it's important to always have good filtration and usually at least two sources, IMO. Temperature and proper diet (which cucumber is NOT) are definitely going to play a big part in whether or not you lose more of these guys.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Thank for your commends.
I have installed my 2 canister fx5 in there and have been doing water changes every second day 10%

I've been reading and have implemented a better diet that include the follwoing:

Flake every other day
1. parboiled squash
2. Tetra DoroGreen
3. Hikari Algae Wafers
4. krill
5. Live worms (once per week.)
6. Hikari carnivore pellets
7. Frozen food (once per week)