tap water

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

will74
Groupie

tap water

Post by will74 »

After finally getting my zebs to breed three times combining in a grand total of 11 viable fry they just quit. I thought it was something I did but upon further investigation I have discovered that my tap water varies wildly in ph, gh,kh, and nitrates.
I need some kind of stability but am at a loss as to how to achieve this. I own a ro\di unit but the majority of people on this sight are strongly against this due to the risk of killing the fish.
I am also very nervous about using commercial water conditioners such as buffers etc.
Maybe it was just luck about them spawning, I just used combined advice I gathered on this forum but mainly I think it was a major water change in correlation with a major storm. I tried this again to get my nitrates down but I think this is what made them quit spawning.
Any stability suggestions would be greatly appreciated along with some advice on what to do with the fry[ Man they grow fast].
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

If you read around the forum it is normal for them to stop spawning do not expect them to keep going forever and every they just may need a break. Just keep doing normal water changes and everything will be fine patience. Also I would leave all the fry in the main tank I have noticed that once I remove my fry my adults seem to look for them.