4 New wild caught

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

RAYISKING
Groupie

4 New wild caught

Post by RAYISKING »

Ok so I am getting 4 wild caught adults 2 male and 2 female hopefully they are 2 and 2 but anyway. I have a zeb that is about 1.2 inches total length in my 20 long. I just bought my 40 breeder and I would like to keep all of them together is this going to be a problem?

I will be posting pics of my 40 tommorrow not going to put sand on the bottom of the tank this time. But I will have about 12 to 16 slate caves with 2 pieces of driftwood.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Even though bare bottom is easy to be kept clean, I still recommend to have some sands on the bottom because bare bottom reflects light and scares the fish unless it's painted in black. You might have better chance to breed them with some sands based on my experience. :D
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

So black sand how do you manage to keep it clean. would one 5 pound bag be ok for a small layer of sand or do i need more.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

just a small layer will be fine. zebras don't eat a lot so you don't have to feed them a lot. I keep some snails with my fish to get rid of left over foods. I do water change twice a week and my tank is always clean.
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

OK GREAT THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!! :lol: ONLY 10 MORE HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

OK HERE IS THE 40 BREEDER I AM WAITING STILL FOR MY FISH :cry:
BUT THE LITTLE GUY IS HIDING SO THAT IS GOOD.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The females won't hide in caves, and sometimes even subdominant males won't use them. I'd recommend some pieces of slate tipped onto a few of the caves for them to hide under. I have a piece of slate that's got a sort of arch to it's long straight shape and they love to wedge themselves in under that. I leave my zebra tanks bare bottom so I can watch the fish from underneath. They're going to swish the sand away from anywhere they hide anyway ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I would also recommend some more hiding places and especially some slate rock to put on top of the caves. Females like to stay either top or side of the cave where the alpha male stays. :D
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

I have another question what about moon lights I have 2 blue cold cathode lights that i set dim is that ok.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I use blue LED dimmer lights and I really love them 'cause they are not afraid of coming out and look for food under those lights. You can enjoy watching them better. :D