water changes?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

water changes?

Post by Zebedee »

when doing water changes i turn off heater temporarily and also the internal filter leaving on the external filter and airstones turned on. then i use a jug to empty the amount of water that i'm taking out usually 30 or 40 litres. then i fill back up by tipping the water out of a bucket straight into the top of the tank. i use water straight out of the tap treated with stress coat to take out the unwanted chemicals. this does startle the fish a bit and also lowers the temperature to around 25 degrees centegrade. is this method not recommended as there is a sudden drop in temp would this affect the fish. also the tipping of the water startling the fish also would this affect the fish. thanks
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

You didnt say what temperature the tank is lowered from. What is the starting temperature before it gets lowered to 25. In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about the pouring of the water or the temperature.

I would be more concerned about using straight tap water and then adding the conditioner. It usually says on the bottle that it takes 24 hours for it to fully condition the water. The recomended method is to premix the water and let it sit for at least 24 hours before adding it to the tank. I must admit I dont always do this and it has worked ok for me but my water is probably different then yours. Also, are you using stress coat or an actual dechlorinator like Amquel or Prime that takes out Chlorine and Chlorimine?
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

I also turn heater and filter off when doing a water change but i do heat my water the same temperature as the fish tank, and using a bucket does'nt seem to do harm at all to the fish.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i use stress coat it doesn't say on the bottle that there is any time required for it to work. the temp before is 30 degrees C. the water is quite hard in my area and the PH level is around 8.2
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

You definately need to use a dechlorinator. I don't think Stress Coat dechlorinates water. Chlorine and Chlorimine can kill fish.
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

Stress coat DOES remove chlorine and chlorimines, as per the bottle. I have been using it for a year or so now, and works fine. I add after every water change and when I add new inhabitants.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/stresscoat64oz.html
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Does it work instantly?
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

I don't know how you would tell. It's not something you could even see. It must work relatively quickly, as the fish are still alive. I don't think anything works "instantly", but it works well enough so that all my fish remain alive and kickin !

William H. Danforth
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Cool... I've never used it. Most dechlorinators need at least 24 hours. You can't see them when you add to water either but I've noticed that if you test the water, it will show up.

I'd assume that stress coat needs time as well although I've never used it. I add the dechlorinator directly to some of my tanks as well with straight tap water but those are my moster fish and ones that I'm not trying to breed. I would imagine that the chlorine and chlorimine would stress the fish somewhat before it gets removed which is why I try not to use that same method with my Zebs and mix the water first.
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

I usually add the stress coat prior to adding the water for the water change. I do this and have been doing this for over a year, including the zebra tank, on all three of my tanks, and I have only had 1 fish die on me in that time, so I must be doing something right !

William H. Danforth
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Chlorine offgasses all by itself in 24 hours. Dechlorinators get rid of it on contact. I don't pretreat any of my water on either the 1600 gallons at home or the 2600 here at the store with no issues. If they're shocking the system, a double dose of dechlor can be required. If it smells really strong, I always add extra. It's hard to overdose the stuff and it's cheap compared to replacing my fish.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i add 1ml roughly maybe 2, it has lines on the cap to tell you into a 10 litre bucket and fill the bucket with fast flowing water to get it mixed in well then add this to the tank. so do you think the 5 degrees sudden drop is fine i've been toying with the idea of getting a 40l tank / container to hold the water to allow the water to heat up slighly or even get a small heater to warm the water before water changes.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Rainy season water changes are supposed to drop the tank water temperature considerably to help stimulate spawning. I'm not sure I'd worry about 5 degrees.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I turn the internal filter off and keep the external running the heaters are situated low so they also stay on. I pipe the water in straight from the HMA filter the tank temp always drops 4 - 5 degrees which has never caused any issues in my zeb tank
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk