Male Eating Eggs

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Male Eating Eggs

Post by Rob »

Well guys.

I might as well post the first topic in here then. I have just got another spawn which I have removed from the male, (due to his habit of eating the odd egg). I tend to leave them in the cave until the fouth day, then remove them just beofre they hatch.

Has anyone else out there encountered problems with the male the eggs?

Rob :roll:

Egg Eater

Post by Guest »

Hi Rob,

I have had the same problem on occassion. I still find it best to let the dad raise the fry until they leave the cave, although I am sure I lose more fry than I have to this way. I have even seen one abandoned egg with a wiggler on top after the dad had eaten the others and left the cave.

Rob
Discusion
Forum Follower

Post by Discusion »

My zebras layd egge some months ago. Then it ended when the male eat the eggs. Just now when I`m writing this the male have blockt the female in the cawe. Soo I wonder if they lay eggs, shuld I take the eggs out?

Hopefully it was a test run the first time.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Cheers for the rplies guys.

Discusion, it does sound like the female is a bout to spawn.

Guest.. I tend to agree, I prefer to leave the eggs withte males. This is the only male I remove the eggs from as the young do not do well in that particular tank. It is a bit of a dilema as I feel guilty about removing them, but the survival rate is far better when they're not eaten. :lol: :lol:
Discusion
Forum Follower

Post by Discusion »

My zebras layd eggs 4-5 days ago. I belive it too be 8-12 eggs. But today it is only one egg left. Can it be the male thats eating the eggs? It is the 2. time this pair lays eggs.

Ore is it just lack off experiense?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm so sorry to hear that Discusion :cry: Did you take the last egg and put it in a fry trap?

I believe my male ate the first lot, but only after they were hatched, that's why I stole his eggs second time. It was a nerve wracking experience to be a foster mom for the eggs though, so I'm not sure I would recomend doing it....

I noticed that the eggs didn't hatch at the same time, one or two hatched on day 5, some on day 6 and the last ones on day 7. Could it be that the male has a buildt in clock that tells him that eggs are no good if they're not hatched within a certain time, and he thinks the eggs are bad if it takes longer? Pure speculations from my side, and probably useless information though....

I'm so sorry this happen! I know you've waited for a long time for this :(

It might be just inexperience also, or maybe he didn't feel secure and therefor ate them? When my male ate the eggs he did it during the night. I have another male that wants to be the alpha male, maybe he was harassing him thus making him insecure enough about the eggs safety that he ate them? Do you have another male that is often fighting with your alpha male?

I know you must be devasted, but try thinking ahead. I'm sure they will give it another go now that they have spawned twice already!
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Discusion

Mc Eve has covered pretty much everything. The only other possbility is the eggs escaping from the cave. I found this to haapen quite alot during th first couple of spawns. Is the cave tilting slightly downard at the back?

If the male is feeling insecure, due to another male perhaps then yes he will eat the eggs. It may also just be down to the inexperience of the male at fertilising the eggs, and they go bad, in which case he eats them to keep the remainder safe. If this is the case, then I couldn't worry, as he will be wanting to get more practice!! :lol: If they have spawned twice, they will most likely spawn again in the near future.

rob
Discusion
Forum Follower

Post by Discusion »

Tanks Rob!

Today I got my first new litle zebra :D

I can only see one, but maybe there are more inside the cawe.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

:D :D Thats great! Any chance of some pics?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]