Where to begin?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

bluebird

Where to begin?

Post by bluebird »

What is the best place to start if I want to breed hypans? I've always had a thing for l-numbers, and have always wanted zebras.

Now that I've got a tank that I can dedicate to this, where to begin?
Is there much to be gained from learning the ropes with a cheaper and more easily obtainable species? Will any of them in particular help me when I do get round to the l46s?

Discuss.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would answer your question with another question. If you were to advise a person who has never driven and has no license where to learn to drive, would you suggest a local driving school or that thet jump into a car at the Indy 500 as their first try behind the wheel?

Cut your teeth on a much cheaper and easier to breed pleco first. That way you will become familiar with their general behavior and spawning habits and fry rearing which are pretty similar for a good number of plecos.

Unless you have money to burn, it can get very expensive to learn with zebras, especially if you want to start with ones of breedable size/age.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
windy1958
Forum Follower

Post by windy1958 »

Hi bluebird
you could start with b/ns their the easiest
thos 262s at daves is another option they are a pair
there is also a ban on all hypans from brazil so finding a group of fish might be a problem
i have sent you a pm aswell
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

I cut my hypan teeth on L129's...

I sold the group when i got the proper L046's :)

It just to happens that the group I sold is now up for sale again by the guy that bought them from me - they are adult now and ready to breed....
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]