Feeding questions

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

b0ot
Banned

Feeding questions

Post by b0ot »

Ok.. is this a good source of food for my fry?

link is here http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2754924

also what about this..http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2754923

pic of it Image
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Reading up and searching forums before you ask questions WILL answer them for you... and you'll be better prepared for looking after your fish.
(all the ones you are posting on contain the answers you are looking for)

Any pleco should not be fed one food alone - a varied diet is a good diet!
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I feed mine a variety of foods, including Hikari sinking carnivore pellets. Though the young juveniles don't seem to care for them.

FYI, it's cheaper to buy them in bulk, like BigAlsOnline.com or DrFosterSmith.com.
b0ot
Banned

Post by b0ot »

ive read this forum for over a month now, ive got all the answers i need, but no links or pics of the actual FOOD.. KEEP in MIND, that there is no local pet stores here where im at and everything i do has to be ordered over the internet. SO LINKS AND A PICS of the food and diet u keep your fry on will help out greatly thanks in advance

-Chris
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Chris, try this:

http://kensfish.com/

I use Ken's Premium Golden Pearls 300-500 microns for growing fry/juvies.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I feed the following foods from kensfish: Earthworm sticks and flakes, spirulina with garlic flake once a week, #00 growth and FD tubifex.

I use the hikari Sinking Wafers not the carnivore.

I also feed staple flake; frozen cyclop-eeze, daphnia and bbs; NLS Growth; and for adults frozen blood worms. Sometimes I will feed frozen mysis to adults as well.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
b0ot
Banned

Post by b0ot »

wow TTA!!!! where can i find all this at? LOL I ONLY HAVE A PETSMART NEAR ME.. so... Thats why I was trying to get pics of these items yall use so I can look for it over the internet.. I already have the Hikari Sinkly Carnivore pellets.. UHHH... how many different things should I feed these guys? will the occasional Zuchinni/cucumber/sweet potatoe work too? for their veggie diet? once a week?
b0ot
Banned

Post by b0ot »

Ok i compiled a list of kensfish .. what yall think

KENS PREMIUM SINKING PELLETS WITH SPIRULINA:
KENS PREMIUM SPIRULINA + BITS WITH GARLIC
KENS PREMIUM SPIRULINA WAFERS
HBH SUPER SOFT & MOIST WITH KRILL
KENS PREMIUM EARTHWORM STICKS
KENS PREMIUM GROWTH MEAL(#00 SIZE)
Golden Pearls Brine Shrimp Size #2 300-500 Microns:

OK OUT OF THIS LIST WHICH ONE'S should I GET for fruy that is 6-8 months old and 1 inch to 1.5 inch long.. I do NOT WANT THEM CHOKING OR BEING FED SOMETHING TOO MEATY/FATNING harming them.. what about a veggie diet in the mix as well?
b0ot
Banned

Post by b0ot »

ok my 15 gallon setup for 4 zebra fry 1 inch to 1.5 inch

3 caves plenty of slate/driftwood

1 top fin wall hanger filter system

1/or 2 Eheim Aquaball Powerhead's on each end of tank pointed across tank flow.

150 watt rena smartheater set to 82-84 degrees

bare bottom

note this isnt a 15 gallon long tank, but a 15 gallon tall.. its about 2 ft long , i believe its big enough for 4 baby fry so they can find food easier and i can keep water quality better and more precise. INPUT IS ASKED OF YALL

I got a 29 galon tall as well i could use, let me know.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

They really wond use the caves for a year or more. Fry love to hide in smaller spaces and they also like to stay together.

While current is fine, it is also a less critical issue for fry than for spawning adults. Good clean water is more important that specific flow rates or patters at this stage.

I would be inclined to use two 100 or 75 watt heaters rather than a single larger one. Redundancy can save lives in case of failure.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
b0ot
Banned

Post by b0ot »

thanks TTA, also did u add me to ur list for fry when avail. u sent me an email stating u would, my email is chriz@cox.net.. I WAS THIKING USING 2 RENA SMARTHEATER 75 WATT.. 1 on each side of tank.. remember its only 15 gallon, also gonna put in a digital thermometer to give me constant temp readings. the rena heaters also let me adjust temp, TTA do u got a preference on heaters u use u can adjust the temp and inexpensive. ?
b0ot
Banned

Post by b0ot »

can i feed this to 1 inch fry.. it appears thats the size of the fry in this image, (courtesy of Jo's Zeb's).. is this frozen raw shrimp? Jo can u comment?