ZEBRA FRY & DISCUS

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

pleco2007
Forum Follower

ZEBRA FRY & DISCUS

Post by pleco2007 »

Hello all:

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I have a few zebra frys that range from 1 inch to 2.5 inch. I plan on buying a pair of discus to put in the same tank as them. The tank is a 30 gallon breeder with plenty of hiding spots, plants, caves, and plenty of wood. Would it be safe for the zebras to live with discus? Would the adult discus try to eat the young frys or hurt them??? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

Deedee
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

I no it's ok to keep discus and l046 together but if your trying to breed l046 then a species tank is a must.
If they fit in the discus's mouths im sure they will eat them,
other wise discus are a perfect tank mate.
siming1
John

Post by John »

It's wise to read this tread first and draw your conclusion's:

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4275

I would not risk my zeb's with other tankmates.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

You can not say that keeping discus with l046 is going to cause this disease.
None of the discus died of it right?
I have heard of lots of people who have had display tanks with discus and l046 and many have said they are perfect tank mates.
If you read the artical again it would seem that this was a freak happening and nothing saying that the discus had passed it on to the l046 meaning they are not compatable tank mates.
siming1
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

While I have seem quite a few people with discus and zebra pleco combo. It's in my opinion that it's a poor choice to mix the two together even if their choice of food is the same.
One is noturnal and the other is a day time feeder. How do you even sort this out? Especially when you have the zebra completely stressed from being afraid of the bigger discus. It addition, they won't eat until they feel safe and about 1/2 of the zebra are willing to starve to death than take the risk of confronting a bigger fish for food.
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

another thing to consider is flow rate - it is generally considered that Zebs need high water turnover.... and discus need a lot more sedate tanks...

about the only thing that is really compatible is the tank temp...

that said however - I know full well that none os my tanks are perfect for one fish - its about compromise... :wink:
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
DanD
Groupie

Post by DanD »

From my limited Discus and pleco keeping experience, Discus leave plecos alone. That being said I still keep my zebras in their own tank

Fish are animals and people can't predict with certainty how they will act.

It is a question of whether you are willing to lose your zebras because of something related to the Discus. The more factors you add to your tank the more complicated and unpredictable it becomes.
John

Post by John »

DanD wrote:It is a question of whether you are willing to lose your zebras because of something related to the Discus. The more factors you add to your tank the more complicated and unpredictable it becomes.
That was exactly my intention to say :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I know one can keep discus and larger zebras together. I have had my spare zebra duo in a 25 gal. discus tank which always houses an adult male and female discus. the zebras went into that tank in late April 2006 and are in there fine and healthy today.

However, I also know this is not the ideal setup for the zebras. There is too little current for them even though they camp out near the big sponge filter. They are healthy, have grown and live there because I had no alternative place for them to go.

A 30 breeder is too shallow a tank for discus imo. While my 25 has a smaller footrpint, it is twice as deep as a 30B.
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
pleco2007
Forum Follower

Thanks everyone!!!

Post by pleco2007 »

I would like to thank everyone for sharing their ideas and thoughts about zebras and discus as tankmates. I invested too much money in my zebras and I don't think I want to take the chance. Thanks agian for the useful information!

Deedee
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Re: Thanks everyone!!!

Post by andrewcoxon »

pleco2007 wrote:I would like to thank everyone for sharing their ideas and thoughts about zebras and discus as tankmates. I invested too much money in my zebras and I don't think I want to take the chance. Thanks agian for the useful information!

Deedee
i agree, not even worth taking the risk! :o
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236