New to Zebra

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

crystalview
Forum Follower

New to Zebra

Post by crystalview »

I get my two small 1" zebra's tomorrow. I have the tank set up just for them. How will I know if they need wormed? I bought food listed in hints and tips so they will have a variety. Is there anything special I should do for them since they are so young? I hope to make jelly food for them, then I know what is in it. What do you have on hand if they become sick? I have heard meds are different for Zebra's. I have not seen many links on young zebra's. I have Dwarf bushynose's and thought zebra's needs would be almost the same except for the zebs being meat eater's
How will I know when I can put the zebs with the Bushynose and ADF's. I know I have to wait a while because I have black worms in the tank for the ADF's.
Any ideas would truly help. I am nervous
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Bushy noses grow much quicker than Zebras. I keep young (1/2"+) bushies in with adult and young zebras but rotate them back out of the tank after a month or two because they grow so quickly.

Are you asking if they need to be treated with worms? Or if they're used to eating worms? In any case, either question should be addressed to the breeder.
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
crystalview
Forum Follower

Post by crystalview »

I am not sure if I know the symptoms for worms. My fish have never had them. I did note that some people treat for worms as a precaution.

My 2 bushy's are seven months old. They are almost 3" in the body.

Seller's communication skills are real bad. I couldn't even get the breeders name out the seller.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

If the seller won't even give you his/her name then I would probably take that as a warning sign.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
crystalview
Forum Follower

Post by crystalview »

The Seller is Exotic finds the owner Blue is extremely bad at communication. I will keep bugging him for the breeders name.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Most resellers aren't going to give the breeders information, IME. There would be no reason to buy from the reseller if you could go direct ;).

I do not worm fry prophylacticaly, personally. Any medications are potentially dangerous. With wild fish, there's more of an issue. Tank raised should have limited exposure to such things.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would not mix your new zebs with any other fish. Consider what you paid for them and then what the bn and adfs are worth.

I have had zebras in some form for a number of years and lots of fry for the past 18 months. In all the time I have had zebras, I have never had to medicate them in any way for anything. that doesn't mean I have not lost a few of them over time, byt never to any form of disease I could ID nor treat.

I agree with Barbie about not medicating fry, especially zebras, unless you have a firm diagnosis of a problem. Its enough work keeping young zebras healthy without adding the stress of what may be unneeded meds.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
crystalview
Forum Follower

Post by crystalview »

Thanks everybody. I got my zebs and they died within an hour of being here. I am so upset.