daily water changes

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

daily water changes

Post by ApacheDan »

I got my 18 zebras from 4 sources the first two weeks of January. Some where really small, barely 3/4" and some 1.25-1.5". I have them all in a 20 gal long tank. Since I was afraid there would not be enough food for the smaller ones, due to the pecking order; I started overfeeding at night. Ever since...in the mornings, religiously I've been changing the water about 20%. In about a 1 1/2 months time I've notice a significant growth,, I would say they are all at least 1" now, and the bigger ones, well bigger. :D All their bellies are nice & round, exceptionally hungry at nights. I'm already cycling another tank to split the group.

From the Discus people, I learn about daily water changes. Commerical breeders in Asia change as much as 100% of the water daily and they swear that this helps & accelerates growth...can't argue with success.

A couple of years ago I had another colony of zebras where I performed weekly water changes & didn't grow as fast as these are growing. Am I the only one doing daily water changes? If somebody else does...please share your experiences with me... Thanks. Dan
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

I do 50% weekly and have noticed the same growth as you with my fry.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
thecichlidguy

Post by thecichlidguy »

im sorry but i have to ask....with the prices and limited availability of these how did you come across 18 of them? and how much were they each? if you dont mind me asking
tirzo13
Groupie

Post by tirzo13 »

thecichlidguy wrote:im sorry but i have to ask....with the prices and limited availability of these how did you come across 18 of them? and how much were they each? if you dont mind me asking
i got 14 from 3 sources, and i did not even have to ship.
just got to look at all the sites everyday, and keep talking to every fish person you know.

anyway, back to the question.
daily water changes has been shown to increase the growth of some species.
i'm not sure if it speeds up sexual maturity though.
so its a good trick to get them to a size for sale, but i don't know if it will "make" a juvie become an adult simply because it is bigger.