Building works.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GS
Groupie

Building works.

Post by GS »

Hello all.

Since about June this year my Zebras have been breeding regularly to the extent that I now don't know how may fish or batches of fry there are. However, the builders are now in for the next month and I'm curious (worried) about how the noise and vibration is going to effect the fish. Has anyone had any similar experiences???

By the way, since the fish started to breed I've been feeding them then on Artemia (shrimp) and flake food and they are doing really well. I've stopped doing water changes too often and I don't clean the tank's glass inside as the fry feed off the inside of the glass when it is dark. The last time my fish started to breed I did a water change and they stopped! I suspect that he breeding releases chemicals into the water and changing it changes the chemical content and they loose interest. Does any one have any thought on this ???
GS
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I'm in the same position in that mine were breeding every month or so and I lost track of the numbers of spawns and fry.
Mine also stopped breeding during the heatwave we had here during summer and I thought that they might have stopped completley but then they started again last month. I'm also moving house next month but after the heatwave experience I'm not nearly as bothered as I was, as I'm sure thye'll pick up again a month of two after moving.
So even if yous stop during the building work I'm sure they'll start up again fairly soon after...
darry
Forum Follower

setup another "juv" tank

Post by darry »

Just ring a bell in my head. Why not take this opportunity to remove all the baby zebras to another tank? Reasons being

1) the baby zebra will eat better with lesser competition from the adult.
2) U get to know how many zebra u actually have at this point of time
3) Prevent the breeding tank from over-polulated
4) U get to watch 2 tanks of zebra, instead of 1 tank.

Few things to note

1) Do cycle the new tank before the migration
2) Do remove only juv, not the adult so as not to upset the colony breeding
3) Do note down how many zebra u have successfully breed, and let all of us here in this forum feel proud for u. Cheers