raising fry

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

raising fry

Post by McEve »

I have a batch of three fry at this development stage

Are they ready to feed? They have food available, but doesn't seem too interested. They also seem to prefer to latch on to the wall, so therefor never get down to the bottom where the food is to be found.

I'm worried about the babies, and would be very happy to get som tips on how I should handle this situation. It's the first time for both the Zebras and me :)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Congratulations McEve

So did you go running outside and tell eveyone, who then looked at you like you were nuts! :lol: My wife still laughs when I come running up the stairs shouting "there's been some zebra luvin' :lol:

Anyway. They are nice looking fry, well done. As for feeding I would suggest Tera Prima otherwise know as Discus Prima, (little orange granuals). I would say they were about ready to feed. Still evidence of a slight yolk sack, but so long as you remove excess food in the morning you should be fine. As for the breeding trap, put something on the floor, and they should go down to hide under it. Also make sure there is any airstone in it to encourage water circulation.

Finally feed them just before you go to bed, just a couple of granules, and you should be fine.

Nice one!!!!

Rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

yes I did do go out and tell everybody! :lol: Funny that.. all I get is a blank stare when I start talking about my babies. I don't get it.... :?

:D

All looks well now, I stared at them for about an hour earlier today (work interrupted further study) and did observe them feeding. I gave them Tetra discus, they are small reddish granules, might be the same thing?

Things are looking much better now that I know they are eating. Thanks Rob!

I have another cluster of about 20 eggs which should hatch saturday, if all goes well. I've waited for this to happen for over a year, and now I got two baches in 20 days! Very very exciting times this is :)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Another 20 eggs... looks like I'll need to add you to the spawn list on the website at this rate!! :lol:

Where abouts are you from? Disus Prima is usually a european version of Tetra Prima.

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I live in Norway, Rob :) Profile updated and introduction made in the appropriate group, now you guys know all about me :lol:

I'll have a look in the shops for Discus Prima later today. I'm going shopping for a new tank to house the fry (which hopefully will need a new home soon), but Tetra Discus should be ok too now that they feed on it?

I feed the zebra a homemade shrimp/veggie mix, the fry should be able to feed on that as well in not too long? It's very finely ground and mixed in a food processor.

What do you think? I'm just so relieved they started eating at all! :D
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

If they are orangey red granules, I think are the same.

rob
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Congrats !!! Wow 20 eggs !!!
What I feed mine is powder made of crushed pellets of all kinds. and as Rob mentioned be careful on keeping the container clean as possible. You don't want any fungus.
Thumbs up !!! :D
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Beautiful pictures you have made there! Congratulations!

My fry is about the same size.
I had the same problem, I didn't know if they should already be feeded. Only mine were still in the cave (PVC tube) with the father.
I wasn't sure if I should leave them alone or seperate them for feeding.
I tried to seperate them for putting them in a fry trap (aparently the same as you are using), only I placed the trap at the bottom of the tank.
I opened the PVC pipe and the father and the fry fell into the trap. Only the fry climbed out of it before I could even blink my eyes! They are amazingly fast!
I felt very guilty to have disturbed the fry and the dad without having the desired result. :oops: I don't think it did really harm them though.
I think part of the fry returned to the cave afterwards and two of them where "adopted" by one of the females. :D
At the moment most fry are outside. I feed them with freeze-dried scale-les brine-shrimp eggs. It is a pity that I have to spread it all over the tank, but the fry seem to be happy with their freedom.
They are so beautiful! :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This forum was such a great idea Rob! We get to see that there's people from all over Europe that is breeding this lovely fish :D

Congratulations to you too Cascudo! I know what you mean, you get so worried about the babies that you want to do something to make sure they make it. I'm sure it didn't harm them what happened :)

That's why I decided to steal the batch of 20 eggs from the male, he ate all but one in the last batch, that's why I have only three left. Two were refuges I found in the tank, hiding in cracks, one was left in the cave. In all fairness, he didn't do too bad considering it was the first time, as I understand it's not unusual for the first batch to be infertile?

Anyway, about the eggs I have now. They're in a fry trap together with an airstone. Two of the eggs are hatched. I can see one egg is dead. Should I try to remove it? The eggs are stuck together in a cluster, how fragile are they? Would I be able to remove the one egg without harming the others? Or should I leave it alone as the rest should hatch tomorrow?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Status on this one:

12 healthy fry, I lost two frys and and 6 eggs.

I've set up a tank where all are going to move in about a month or maybe two.

Three Angels have the not so pleasant task of getting the tank going - it has also been seeded from the parents tank.

The heater is not going to sit like that though :D
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi McEve

Nice looking set-up. Hopefully the angels will be ok , as you seeded the tank with cycled water. Personally I kinda like the heater! :lol:

good luck

rob
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Hi McEve, looks like a lovely tank, how big is it?
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It's a 98 liter tank Tristan, should be large enough for the babies for a year I reckon? :)

The angels are doing fine btw, they're eating, but a little pale still. The tank was sitting for 5 days before I put them in, so they should be alright... Poor things, but I'm not letting a single Zebra in there before I'm 100% convinced it's safe and sound to live there! :P
Adam

Post by Adam »

Nice looking setup Mceve, the angels should be ok they can be quite resilient. I particularly like the sand and slate combo, I'm thinking along similar lines for my zebra tank.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

A really nice setup! And I am sure that the zebby's will feel comfortable moving around in the fine sand and hiding in the slate structrure.

I like the back wal decoration. Did you buy it or did you make it yourself?

Are you planning to keep the angels with the zebra's?