Don't know what to do.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Don't know what to do.

Post by Lifted193 »

Maybe someone can help? My lonely ZP is 1” long, housed in a 12gal nano, with plants. Other tank mates are 2 cardinals, 2 Amano shrimps, 3 cherry shrimps and lots of those trumpet snails. I’ve had him for about 3 months.
Now here’s my problem. I have never seen him eat! That kind of worries me. But I have notice since he’s been in the tank there are lots of hole in the plants that where not there before. I try to put the food near him but he’s not interested. I have tried all sorts of food. Should I be concern? I know it’s eating cause I would move it to the glass so I can check its belly?
Any suggestion/advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Ken
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

I have never see my zebra plecos eat since I got them in June. I got some more a few weeks ago and I don't even see them... lol... but i do check up on them everyday with a red len flashlight. They are all still alive and well. Just as long as you have food in the tank, your lonely zebra will find and eat it. I usually do is put some food right before I turn off the tank light. All the food seem to be gone by morning, so I know they are eating.

But you have your zebra for 3 months now and he/she is alive. I wouldn't worry about it cuz you're doing something for it to be alive.

Just make sure all the tankmates don't eat all the food when you turn off your lights. Zebras are passive when it comes to feeding and good.

Hope this help
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

Thanks n00dl3,
I kind of knew that my zp will be alright. But its always nice to hear that someone else is experiencing the same thing.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

The same thing happened with me. I kept a piece of wood in the tank and the baby zeb was hiding in the crevace in the wood. I could only see it's tale. I knew it was alive becuase I could see the tale moving at times. One day, I was able to get the zeb out of the wood and I noticed how much bigger it got, so I figured it was eating well.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i have had mine for a week now and they eat but i never see them. i put wafers in for them and when i get home from work overnight there are bits missing from the swollen wafers.

i was worried at first but after seeing full bellies i dont care to see them eat or not as long as they do.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

Zebs tend to eat over night or when they think no one is looking, so if you are prodding and poking at them or making movements around the tank they will hide and freeze. If the fish is only 1" it would not have had enough reserves to go 3 months with out feeding!

The holes in the plants probably aren't from the zeb, they tend not to graze on plants like some other plecs. The holes could be from the other occupants,due to high nitrate levels, low light level or low CO2.

Al.C
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

The holes in the plants could also be from not enough nutrients for them. What kind of plants are they?
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

What i do is feed them grinded up carnivore pellet food and let disperse throughout the whole tank once i turn off the lights, that way it falls everywhere along the floor of the tank,,,the downside is you need to increase your water chages and gravel cleaning! but you will notice your zebs belly increase!! :wink: