Advisible or not?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Advisible or not?

Post by Shell231 »

When a male has a female trapped, is it advisible to do a water change as today is the time i normally do it?

Will it desterb them or not?
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

You might want to wait what others say but when i did a large change (10-15gals) in a 60gal tank that is 75% filled, the male ate the eggs!! i dont know why??? maybe the temp dropped too low and he felt like they might not survive! So now i only add a very few gals of water with the same temp while he is in there with the female or guarding eggs!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I was in the middle of a water change when I noticed the male and female in the cave. It didn't affect what was going (i.e. she stayed trapped for days after and laid eggs). Though I was advised to delay any further changes, and so I did. Don't know if that's helpful, but that's what I did.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I continue with water changes even when my males have eggs or fry and to date they have been alright with that. However I would personally avoid large water changes as this could disturb them too much. I reduce water changes to 5% daily when a male is sitting on eggs and gently trickle replacement water into the tank.

Adam