Zebra exchange?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

INXS
Obsessed!!

Zebra exchange?

Post by INXS »

I would first like to thank and congratulate Rob on the board and the breeding registry- it is really proving itself handy and helpful.

Now for the suggestion:
Since there is location posted next to the breeders and we get many people that are searching for a particular sex and grown fish it would be helpful in propagating the fish to have an exchange of sort.

I have several males that look grown and very mature and also a number of females that are fat, it seems however that only the alpha male will spawn and from what I have heard from others it is pretty consistent.

It could/would be helpful to be able to exchange some of the zebras with others to help them get their colonies going and/or maybe exchange fry to keep the genepool diverse.

I have not figured out how the best way to accomplish this would be but if there is interest it could be something to work on?
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

Most people are trading males. Because they are easier to get, and they the sex that is easier to get breeding maturity
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That's a great idea! I don't know how it should be implemented, but it certainly seems like a good idea to me.

The person that didn't have a mature male and ended up loosing several of the young males could have benefitted from an exchange program like that for example.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

That's a great idea....and one I'm definitely up for...although I admit parlty because you have some sexy females and I have none....but then your in the States too :( .....oh well.
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Yeah,
this is why it's good that the breeding registry has location on it.
If you can find people around you that have groups, especially breeding ones you can definitly trade or borrow.
Though at that time it becomes utterly important to make sure we have a system for quarantine and healthy moving of fish.

Perhaps people that have good knowledge of sales and transportation can comment and add pointers.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I would also have to agree with you in all aspects! Either is swaping fry or parents, either way it works it will benefit the lively hood of the Zebra! Hope we can find out a solution and you can count me in on this ex-change program! :wink:
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I think this is a great idea. It was actually something similar I was trying to gage interest in in Sales & Wants. :)

I'm all for diversity in my zebbie colony and I'm sure everyone else on the forum is too.
Breeder2b

Re: Zebra exchange?

Post by Breeder2b »

INXS wrote:I would first like to thank and congratulate Rob on the board and the breeding registry- it is really proving itself handy and helpful.

Now for the suggestion:
Since there is location posted next to the breeders and we get many people that are searching for a particular sex and grown fish it would be helpful in propagating the fish to have an exchange of sort.

I have several males that look grown and very mature and also a number of females that are fat, it seems however that only the alpha male will spawn and from what I have heard from others it is pretty consistent.

It could/would be helpful to be able to exchange some of the zebras with others to help them get their colonies going and/or maybe exchange fry to keep the genepool diverse.

I have not figured out how the best way to accomplish this would be but if there is interest it could be something to work on?
I am new to this site and noticed you are from CT. I am in Simsbury and was wondering if you, or anyone you know might be willing to sell me a group of Zebras for me to try and breed? I currently am breeding Dwarf Albino Bristle Nose and several species of african cichlids. Zebras are the ultimate challenge. Please contact me at: d.w.burr@sbcglobal.net THANKS!!!
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

This is a great idea, but why did the thread die out? Is no-one longer willing to commit, etc.? I will soon recieve a young trio, but that would mean I would need to wait around 2 years before I get any fry. Anyone willing to exchange a juvenile male and female for a mature male and female? :lol: [Highly Doubts It] :roll:
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

this is a great idea if we can sort out the kinks on the system maybe a few hypothetical questions from everyone so that we can formulate and create the best way to track the blood line of the fish kinda like a Pedigree for fish. let me start

1. What is the purpose of the exchage program?
2. What is the criteria to be able to join the exchange program?
3. What qualifies or disqualifies a fish to be entered in the exchange program?
4. How do we keep track of the prodgeny that resulted from the program?

this are some of my questions and im sure everyone can come up with more.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

zebra046 wrote:this is a great idea if we can sort out the kinks on the system maybe a few hypothetical questions from everyone so that we can formulate and create the best way to track the blood line of the fish kinda like a Pedigree for fish. let me start

1. What is the purpose of the exchage program?
2. What is the criteria to be able to join the exchange program?
3. What qualifies or disqualifies a fish to be entered in the exchange program?
4. How do we keep track of the prodgeny that resulted from the program?

this are some of my questions and im sure everyone can come up with more.
1. Increase genetic diversity, reduce inbreeding, or if someone needs a certain sex pleco (has all males, too many males, too many immature fish), also to reduce aggression.

2. Must have Zebra plecos that he/she is willing to exchange. Must not be retired, deformed, and not too old.

3. Too old, deformed, retired, sick, and injured fish must not be allowed.

4. Everyone that has a successful brood should report to the exchange members of how many fry they raised to a sellable size; 1-1.5". But I don't believe that all of the fry raised should be circulated in exchange program, rather the seller should dedicate some to the exchange and does whatever he/she wants with the rest.

The only problem I see with this program is trust; for example, using retired fish in the exchange and reporting that the specimen is indeed healthy and breeding. That is the only problem I see, IMO. Then we need to make sure everyone manages to package the fish cosiderably well; a dead Zebra is a huge loss - both in terms of money and as a breeding specimen. Other than that, I think it's a perfect way to ensure the exchange members always have breeding stock; especially for breeders who aren't having any luck. But then again, members must be willing to commit in order for it to become a successful breeding program.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

This is some thing I would love to set up in my local area. Having previously worked for several years in the aquatics trade and having breed several different types of fish, I have experience in moving fish various distances (though not shipping abroad). Is there any one in the north of England willing to give this ago and expand the stock of this amazing fish?
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

Hi everyone , heres my 2pence worth, lol
I think the exchange idea is fantastic, a great way to diversify the gene pools to ensure the L46 Type is kept true to genetic form. However..........The problems i would theorectically (spelling????) predict are as follows.
1. How to ensure the unscrupulus dont enter fish which are not of good health, good age, good sex, good form.
2. How to ensure fish entered are actually Zebra Plecos and not imaginary fish (believe me someone will try-and people that try hard enough usually succeed)
3. will there be anything in the exchange that differentiates between L46 and the various wavy line forms????? (i understand some people dont differentiate and breed together but i think the breed looks better with single straight lines......and before i get my back jumped on i understand both are found in the wild)
4.Is the exchange of 2 fish forever (ie as good as a sale) indefinate, or for a set period?? (ie will it work like a using a dog for stud?? it is used for 1 mating then returned)how will this be monitored)
5.How will the exchange be monitored and by who?
6.How will claims of missuse be dealt with?? (ie. if someone exchanges a lame zebra?)
7. will a deposit be left with a 3rd party incase a zebra dies in someone elses care and cannot be exchanged?

All in all i think this is a great idea and have 5 zebra's myself, of which i would prob enter 2 into the program (mature females). however i think there are alot of potential pitfalls for 1 person/body to setup such an exchange.

On that note i think the best way to go about this would be to setup a forum/post/topic type place where people can advertise what they are looking for and if 2 people find a match let them trash out the rules between them. i see this as the only way to ensure both parties are happy.
Please reply if you think i am wrong/right or talkin utter crap.
its just my opinion.
thanks
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I think Andy is right it is a great idea in theory, but there are many (innumerable?) pit falls. We could do with getting keepers/breeders together on a local level to sort this out. These fish are to valuable to let slip away and we need to be proactive in preserving them.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

I believe all specimens should be photographed and posted on this site for all the exchange members to decide whether it passes as a healthy fish. Of course; sex should be determined also. Sales should be final; no renting Zebra's - too stressful.

About payments, I'm not sure how it should be done. Is Escrow practical? And dishonesty is the biggest concern, does eBay have private sales - that way we can guarantee a mutual sale between the two parties.