I have an idea

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

fishboy
Groupie

I have an idea

Post by fishboy »

As you all know, the zebra pleco is extremely rare in both captivity and in wild. And it gets a ton of attention. But is there a Hypancistrus species out there that is just as rare as these that gets no attention and goes for a lot cheaper. I am just trying to say that is the reason zebras are so expensive because of there looks or rarity. Because i believe that all rare plecos should be the same price, and all hypancistrus species are gorgous
discusred
Groupie

Post by discusred »

I thinking a little like you. I shall just have Hypancistrus in all my tank. For the moment i have in two tank Zebs, one tank L-260, and i shall buy in the week a group of L-173 and have in other tank.
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

You have 2 tanks of zebras. How many are in each. Good luck
discusred
Groupie

Post by discusred »

I had all my Zebs (14) in one 200L tank a week ago, but i think it been to many in one tank. So i move over 6 adoults in a anothour tank. And hope i got fry some day:)
I only got fry in the big main tank 1200L whit lots of other fish, and i only get up 2 this time.
discusred
Groupie

Post by discusred »

Sorry,
I mean L-174, not L-173 i shall buy in the week.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

i have some L262's there kool plecos
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

Very nice. But, my point is, are there otehr fish out there that should be selling like zebras but aren't because of there coloration
Adam

Post by Adam »

I got some L399 a while back, formerly known as the Belo Monte plec. Personally I think that they rival L46 for beauty, I hope to get them their own tank soon as they are sharing with some L66 at the moment. Incidently a lot of these are showing up labelled as L173 which they are clearly not.

As for other hypansitrus that don't sell as well as the zebra well perhaps the fact that there isn't another species quite as strikingly patterned has something to do with it. Also the fact that they are now scarce has a lot to do with everybody wanting them. I'm pretty sure that if gold nuggets became scarce tomorrow everybody would want them too.

Adam
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

But, aren't there species as rare as the zebra in the hypancistrus family. Color alone isn't enough for me to make a species expensive. The goal is to breed these wonderful creatures so that they don't become extinct one day. I have heard of new hypancistrus, L400 and L399. Are you saying that L287 is not the belo monte. Is any aqualog updated with all the new species of hypancistrus, peckoltia and panaque
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

What about L340(LDA19) the Mega Clown Pleco? I personally have never seen them for sale in the States, at least on lists. If they look like the picture on PC then WOW! I would trade L-46 babies for them!!!

Pattern/color is THE reason fish are on most wanted lists. And then supply and demand sets in. Then stop exporting them and see what happens to them. All rare L#'s will never be the same price because they look different. If rarity is equal, the better looking fish will have a higher demand and fetch more money. Its simple supply and demand.

Now, who has some 340's? :lol:
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

LDA70 i want to get :D
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

No kidding, that L340 is amazing isn't it. There are so many new species of hypancistrus right now, the news ones i know of are L318, L287, L173. And then we have these 3 news ones mentioned on this topic
discusred
Groupie

Post by discusred »

Adam wrote:I got some L399 a while back, formerly known as the Belo Monte plec. Personally I think that they rival L46 for beauty, I hope to get them their own tank soon as they are sharing with some L66 at the moment. Incidently a lot of these are showing up labelled as L173 which they are clearly not.

As for other hypansitrus that don't sell as well as the zebra well perhaps the fact that there isn't another species quite as strikingly patterned has something to do with it. Also the fact that they are now scarce has a lot to do with everybody wanting them. I'm pretty sure that if gold nuggets became scarce tomorrow everybody would want them too.

Adam
I have just det problem whit L173. I buy in the week a group of L173, but i been confused when i buy it, and i think it was L174. But it was not!
I take it up in planetcatfish forum, and in a forum Guardians of Catfish.
Here is some photos http://www.patriksdiscus-page.com/news.htm
I think now it is the former "Belo Monte Plec"
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Prices are set by what people ask for them and what people are willing to pay for them - who said "looks don't count"?. Some plecos like the Queen Arabasque have gone way up in price, reaching nearly what I used to pay for the zebras several years ago
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

If queen arabesque are going up, i need to get myself 2 more females for my 2 males and 2 females that have spawned once