Frozen Food.. friend or Foe!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Frozen Food.. friend or Foe!

Post by Rob »

Ok Guys... this is basically a follow on from the thread that appeared in the "Help" forum.

What is the general consensu on frozen food, be it mysis, bloodworm or whatever. I feed my zebras, and community tank of bloodworm at least twice a week. I have had one incident some time ago where I lot a number of zebras over a period of 3 days, although I didn't attribute this to the frozen food. However I could have been wrong! All the food I use is gamma rad, and therefore hopefully safe.

What do you think :?:

rob
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

Cant answer this if its aimed purely at Zebras but ive never had a problem with any other fish and I feed frozen bloodworm everyday. What brand's are Gamma radiated btw, I feed Sally all the time btw.
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Hi Rob;

I also feed them frozen bloodworms (Hikari) ones or twice a week with no bad incidents. they seems to love them.

I lost 4 zebras after feeding them live bloodworms. (They were 2" Zebras) So now only feeding Hikari frozen bloodworms. :wink:
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I have used frozen gamma treated food on discus and other fish for a few years without any problems at all. The gamma radiation should kill off any nasties in the food. shoudl be 100% safe. :D 8)
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Rob,
As stated elsewhere in the forum, I lost my largest male :( (over 4") after a feed of frozen bloodworm. whether he "choked" or had an internal bacterial infection ,I will never know.
I have read an article recently about a Uk Discus breeder who lost one of his prize winning discus valued at more than £200. Sent it for a post mortem and found out it had an internal infection caused due to the frozen iradiated bloodworm .He no longer feeds his fish frozen bloodworm.
Bloodworm may be cultivated and iradiated, but do we know how many times the packs have thawed /partially thawed( while being transported eg from Europe to the Uk) and refreezed, from the time of manufacture to its final destination in your home freezer .
All it takes is one bloodworm that has "gone off" to do its damage.
I still feed frozen bloodworm , but a lot more sparingly than I used to.
Regards,
Des. :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Just to add further to the debate I know of at least 2 LFSs that no longer feed blood worms to their L number plecs and discus. One of them has lost a few zebras to blood worms.

As I originally said under the help thread I made the decision a while back to no longer feed blood worms to any of my fish. I can't see the point of taking the risk when there are plenty of other frozen foods that can be used instead. I haven't had any bad experiences as yet and I would prefer to keep it that way.

Just my oppinion.
urchysj

RINSE FROZEN FOOD!

Post by urchysj »

Hi. I'm the dum dum that poisened her tank by overfeedning frozen food and not rinsing it first. See the "Big Disaster" thread.
I am still feeding frozen food, but let me tell you what I have observed. I happen to have one of those metal tea strainers for seeping loose tea leaves with. Bought it in a health food store years ago. It has a handle you squeeze, and it opens the round "strainer". It is fine mesh so that tea leave bits do not go into your cup.
Anyway, this is what I now use to rinse my frozen food. Even if it is frozen blocks, you can fit 2 of them in the thing and it will thaw while you are running it under water. You will not BELIEVE how much "juice" flows out! I have seen the water turn red/brown as it's leaving the food. This is what I think killed off my fish in my disaster. Keep the food under the water and turn it over a few times until it runs clear. THEN you can feed. I have had no problems since. I am even using the same food from the same package that wiped out that tank. If you can't find this little "tea" tool, just use a fine mesh strainer/colander. But the tea tool is easier to get the food out of. I also use a large wooden stir stick to scoop out the food to feed it. Ok, my 2 bits. :wink:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Good idea urchysj.

Why not put a wee post in the hints and tips forum!!

rob :lol: