Critical age

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Critical age

Post by McEve »

Is there any age where you can say you're past the critical stage in a Zebra frys life? If you get them to be two moths old and feeding, would that mean you've got a fairly good chanse of seeing them grow up?

I'm not sure I'm very clear on what I'm asking for, but I understand there's a certain age, varying from fish type to fish type, when the critical stage is passed...?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi McEve

I think I get what your saying... :lol: From what I have experienced, most of my fry survive after they are about 1- 2 months old. After then I lose the occasional one but harly any. I would say the first month - 6 weeks is the critical period.

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Rob, I'm glad you were able to read between the lines :D

I guess my fry should have a fairly good chanse of survival now then, as they are past the two month mark.

I'm worried they aren't getting enough to eat see.. Look:

Do the look like they're getting enough to eat..? Might be hard to tell from this picture though, but I tried to get their bellies to show :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

It's a bit hard to tell McEve but from what I can see they look ok, their stomachs don't appear to be hollowed out from lack of food. Lovely looking babies by the way, will you be putting any up for adoption :?: :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote: Lovely looking babies by the way, will you be putting any up for adoption :?: :lol:
Nuhu - they're alll mine muahahahaha :twisted:

On a more serious note:

Thanks for your comment Adam, I know it's not easy to tell from the picture, but I apreciate you giving me your opinion!

They've been without the picknick basket for three weeks now... I should notice them being hollow if they didn't eat shouldn't I...?

There's three of them that insist on living behind the filter, the rest is under a root. I somehow feel more comfortable with them living under the root, as they're on the ground and have more easy access to food. The gang under the root is play fighting and seem very active, so I'm not really worried about them :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

[quote="McEve"][/quote]
Nuhu - they're all mine muahahahaha :twisted:

Well I can't say that I blame you, If my zebras bless my tank with the pitter patter of tiny fins I would definately hang on to all of them. I think that I would only really consider selling any if I ran out of tank space. Seeing that tank space is never going to be an issue, loads of potential spots around the house, I'll be keeping all of them.

You certainly would notice if they were becoming emaciated due to lack of food. My personal observations on malnourished fish is that as well as the physical signs their behaviour also changes they become less alert and begin to swim erratically, they are generally beyond help at this point.

Zebras are not an active fish so I would guess that they require less food than your average community fish who spends his average day swimming countless laps around the tank.

If you are really worried feed before lights out and come back a bit later with a torch to see where the zebras are. I'm pretty sure you'll find them on the bottom of the tank. :D
Last edited by Adam on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

McEve,

I think they look good.
Today I observed my last fry that was on the front glass today. And I noticed it was quite hollow on the place where his belly should be (different from your fry). It was in fact so transparant that I saw his tiny heart beat.
I tried to catch it, for locking him up in his picknick basket, but it escaped me. I throwed again brine shrimp eggs tonight.

So you don't have to worry about your's. They look well fed.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI McEve

The fry look magic. If the food you are feeding has some pigment, i.e. the orange granular Tetra Discus, then you should be able to see it in the fry's stomach just after eating.

Try popping down to have a littel look at them jsut after they have eaten. If they eat at night, get a little torch, and check them out. You should be able to see the colour in their belly if they are on the glass.

Nice one!

rob