Help needed re: Oxygen levels

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Help needed re: Oxygen levels

Post by Jenny »

Hi,

I purchased an O2 Tetra test kit and was surprised to find that the reading showed only 2mgl in the zebra tank. I have an internal fluval and an external Eheim with spray bar together with an air pump.

From previous posts I accept that this is not high enough and would like to use my Hydor 4 which is not being used at the moment as I find it 'rattles' and 'bangs' in the tank although it is attached to the side of the tank with fixings.

When I put it in the tank the zebras freaked out as though the 'underwater' noise was too much.

Does anybody else use the Hydor 4 or can anybody give me any suggestions.

Thanks
Jenny
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Hi Jenny

I used it and I took it out for the same reason. In fact, my zebras moved to the other side of the tank to avoid it!

It makes less noise if you sit it well on a thick layer of substrate - try to avoid rocks or anything else round it to keep it steady cause it will rattle. The other problem it has, of course, is that as the pad on the top gets dirty it starts making more noise.

I will personally never use Hydor again.

On the oxygen test, I used it too, and my levels came low. When I discussed this with some experienced aquarists I was told that these tests are very unreliable and shouldn't be taken seriously. The only reliable way to test oxygen in the water is with the electronic testers, but these are too expensive.

Why are you measuring your tank for oxygen? Is it overloaded? I did fine with a massive overload in plecs and the Eheim 2227 wet and dry (with spraybar) only. If you are concerned why not put a venturi on the Fluval?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

My tank is running only with an Eheim 2224 with a spray bar. My oxygen levels, measured with the Nutrafin test, are consistently over 8mg/L. I don't test the O2 regularly, but I do test it periodically.

Whether the test is accurate or not, my fish are healthy, active and have spawned in it, so it can't be that bad!

My spray bar is around 2" above the surface of the water so it makes plenty of surface disturbance and sends teeny bubbles into the water.

I don't know if this is helpful or not... but there you have it... :wink:
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thank you for your replies.

I agree with your comments on the Hydor, I have tried it in all my tanks with no success, I just thought somebody might have some suggestions.

I only have the two zebras/2 cory in a Jewel 70 and all water test are fine - I had read that oxygen levels were of paramount importance and, therefore, decided to test the levels.

One zebra remains under a piece of bogwood, one is in a slate cave and I have never seen them out and eating. I feed them at night only and most of the food is gone in the morning and as I have had them for seven months they must be OK. I have tried putting the food in during the day and they wait until darkness to eat.

Perhaps if they had more zebra friends they would feel more confident to venture out and about. When they were in a very busy community tank in the beginning they were out all the time and seemed much happier.

Any suggestions
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I've got the rubbish jewel internal filter and an Eheim 2028 external filter running my rio 400 with 19 zebbies and 8 corys and they seem happy enough with the oxygen levels, although I must admit I haven't tested it since before I introduced the zebbies. I was going to put a powerhead in as well but I'm going to build a 3 tier breeding set up once I've established the sexes and split them into groups.

It's difficult to say whether safety in numbers is a factor when eating during lights on as I usually see them coming out from under the bogwood individually to eat. I suspect tank location would play an important part as they prefer not to be disturbed. I sit very still about a metre away from the tank and they're more than happy to come out.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

ok guys, my experience is different. I keep hearing everybody saying that zebras are shy and that they won't compete well for food if kept with other species. Mine will come out day or night, lights on or off, and more importantly, other, much bigger catfish around or not! I used to think mine did it because they were used to the tank, but about a month ago I bought 3 new ones from a guy who told me how "shy" they were, and they behave exactly like the others - out and about within a week. I don't think numbers make much of a difference in their behaviour - in fact if there is any competition its between their own kind, rather between themselves and other fish. Picture follows - look how Caesar has his fin proudly up - and is on top of a stone next to massive catfish, looking for food. Lights are on. What can I say?

Note that they do get fed daily - so they aren't exactly out cause they are starving! In any case, if they are shy but happy where they are, what is the problem?