Algae in Zebra tank

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Algae in Zebra tank

Post by Jenny »

Is algae a problem to zebras. I have a layer of algae over the sand - and although I attempt to clean it up daily it just reappears.

I understand that it is caused by high Phosphate - the tank has been set up since February and the tap water is hard.

I am due to do a water change tomorrow - I have RO water - should I use this and would it make a difference.

Thanks for your help
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

i know this aint the cure probably but my lfs sell these things like t bags that stop algae, sometimes if the tank is near a window or has too much light algae will grow, there is also moss balles that you can get cheap of ebay that stop algae growing
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks, Neo, do you know if they are safe as I am extra cautious using anything in the zebra tank.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

yep they are fine, i am also over protective!!!
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Is it algae? Or Cyanobacteria? Cyano can definitely cause problems for your fish. It's also a sign that you don't have enough flow. What color is the algae? Does it spread in sheets and get little oxygen bubbles trapped in it? Is there a reason you can't just shut off your lights?

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Barbie,

How can I tell if it is a problem - I have two filters on the 70 litre tank - an external Eheim and the internal Jewel. I also have additional aeration. I have two zebras, 2 otos and 2 cory in the tank with a sand substrate and one cave and a piece of bogwood.

I can tell there is something wrong as the smell of the water isn't quite right - I have tested and is a very very slight tendency towards Nitrite content. I did my weekly water change yesterday and cleaned the internal filter and replaced the carbon and white filter. The external filter was last cleaned out in July.

All fish appear to be OK but, possibly, not quite as active as normal, so I am quite concerned.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

I decided to take a photo to show you -

I tried to get some moss balls or 't' bags today but no luck

Barbie

Post by Barbie »

That is DEFINITELY cyanobacteria. You have a couple methods of fixing it available. The first one will freak you out a bit, but it works. Add nitrates. Either STOP doing water changes so often, or add a nitrate containing fertilizer. Your sand bed also looks too deep, which tends to aggravate the problem. The cyanobacteria covers the surface where the nutrient is, and in your tank, that looks to be the sand. You don't want more than 3/4" in my experience. Anything over an inch is risking anaerobic pockets developing, which can offgas into the tank. If it was me, I would probably remove the substrate altogether, as the zebras don't need it, and it really does seem to be the source of your problem. You can also add a powerhead low in the tank that blows across the substrate. That sometimes helps a great deal. With your substrate, it might also cause a sandstorm though.

The other option is to treat the tank with an antibiotic. The cyanobacteria will die back, meaning your water quality will go south if you do this. You'll want to count on doing daily water changes for a week or so.

The fact that you're occasionally showing nitrites in your tank is a very bad sign. Even low levels of nitrites affect how the fish can uptake oxygen. You are either disturbing your biobed too much during filter maintenance, or you don't have enough filtration on the tank in the first place. If the filters are getting that nasty that often, put a prefilter sponge of some type in the intake. That allows food to get stuck where the fish can still graze it off, and gives you additional surface area for bacteria to colonize.

As cyanobacteria is NOT algae, the treatments for reducing algae levels will be ineffective btw. Cyanobacteria is uptaking what nitrate your filter is managing to make and utilizing the phosphates from the foods you're feeding more efficiently than algae can basically. If you add nitrates (low levels mind you!) the algae can then outcompete the cyano. Cyanobacteria is toxic if they eat it btw.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks for reply, Barbie, not what I wanted to hear although I suspected something wasn't right as I have never experienced this type of problem before.

I only added the sand substrate approx. 4 weeks ago and, although I only introduced less than 1/2" depth, they have moved it about and there are now slightly deeper areas and the areas where they have completely moved the sand away, ie. under the bogwood where the female stays and around the cave.

I'll read your post again and take the advice. If I have queries, I'll PM you.

Thanks
Jenny
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Wow i aint ever saw that before :shock: deffinatly not algae indeed, but if u ever do have algea i can get you the stuff you cant get and send you it no probs

Also the Zeb in the pic is nice!!! has a kool tail also!

Good luck sorting your tank m8 :wink:

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

vacuum all you can get out, (you'll notice a bad smell while doing this), then do a water change of 20%, and turn off the lights for 4 days.

It will kill the bacteria, but if you notice it returning within a few days then you need to look into your water chemistry.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bluegralgae.htm additional info on this pest. i had it in my qaurantine tank a few months back
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks, McEve

I have left the light off since Wednesday - every day I use my little battery powered cleaner with the bag on it and vacuum up most of the green - I havn't removed the sand yet although some is sucked up with the cleaning.

The zebras are eating but they have never been very active unless I move there hiding places. I put this down to them being wild caught, although when they were in the community tank for 3-4 months they were out all the time, probably because there was plenty of action on the substrate.

I am testing the water daily and the Nitrite is 0ppm every time - I shall test the Nitrate tonight.

I'll have to see how it goes
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Jenny wrote:I decided to take a photo to show you -

I tried to get some moss balls or 't' bags today but no luck

I got this in one of my 250 liters now (wonder if it's overfeeding or too much light that causes it to start with..?). A 3 day lights out (black out) was all it took - no trace of it anywhere.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

McEve,

Yes, it worked for me as well - lights out for about a week and it disappeared. I only put the lights on occasionally now - they have natural light and I feel that's enough. :lol:

Jenny

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everybody :D
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

In fact that is a reasonable option. The zebra's live in the wild at great depths in dark waters and are probably used to a dark environment.

I don't opt for it because I don't like to look at a dark tank. If you ever want to have regular lighting again, you should consider to have your tank heavily planted with fastgrowing plants. Then the plants compete with the algues and won't give them a change.

In your case I would recommend to watch closely the water quality. Blue algues (which indeed, are in fact bacteria) often occur if you overfeed the fish and leftovers are rotting in the tank. (But off course I don't know if this is the case in your tank :)).
By turning off the light you take away the symptons (blue algues) but imo not the cause.
Plants can help to purify the water. In my tanks that are well planted I don't have problems with algues. For good growing plants you should have sufficient substrate.
I realize that a lot of pleco-keepers are not used to keep plants, but they really help to maintain a healthy environment.