Hello from San Diego, California

Hmmm...what else can I say!
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Hello from San Diego, California

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hi Everyone!
I just found this site, looks fabulous! I love Zebra Plecos too, and just got my very first baby hatch out this week :)
Hoping to get many more of course, but heck, one works for me, big grin!
Nice to meet you all.
Best, Barb
Currently run 25+ tanks and 6 above ground ponds. Breed many species of fish, including catfish, plecos, angels, Uaru's, German Blue Rams, livebearers, even snails.
jeroentje
Obsessed!!

Post by jeroentje »

welcome here !!!
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Welcome aboard!!!! :wink:
Live right next to you, in Los Angeles. Do you happen to know Armando, in San Diego, he has a pretty goos size bredding colony! Anyways, maybe you can give us some hints on how you accomplished your first spawn.
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

jerms55555 wrote:Welcome aboard!!!! :wink:
Live right next to you, in Los Angeles. Do you happen to know Armando, in San Diego, he has a pretty goos size bredding colony! Anyways, maybe you can give us some hints on how you accomplished your first spawn.
Hi Jerms,
I do indeed know Armando, he has been to my house several times and I even have some of his F1 baby plecos (4 of them to be exact). He is a very nice guy, and also in my fish club, The San Diego Tropical Fish Society. In fact, I believe it was the addition of Armandos 4 babies into my adult Zebra tank that may have triggered spawning :) I of course had no idea they had finally spawned, I discovered this by accident last week. I was doing a big clean job on the tank, also removing as many of the pond snails as I could (they had grown to untolerable levels again). I was taking out caves and if they were pleco free, shaking out snails and removing snail eggs. One of them obviously was not snails but Zebra eggs, as suddenly I noticed a bunch of gelatin/eggs that clearly were not snails! I quickly put together a hanging livebearer net that I place near the outlet of my biowheel and placed the eggs into that. 2 days later they were all fungused, cept for one that was newly hatched! He is doing great in his net, and should be eating in the next 2-3 days. So cute too!
I will of course, cease my snail cleanings, LOL!! Fingers crossed they breed again soon and I am surprised with a nice clutch of babies, parent raised of course.
Best, Barb
Currently run 25+ tanks and 6 above ground ponds. Breed many species of fish, including catfish, plecos, angels, Uaru's, German Blue Rams, livebearers, even snails.
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

PS Here is a photo of the eggs in the breeder net, they were clearly all fertile at the time, as you can see the spinal cords. Alas, not knowing they were there, I clearly ruined all but one of them. Sigh......
However, I know there will be more eggs, so now I am ready!
Best, Barb

SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Close up of fertile egg.

valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Welcome to the forum :D Congrats on your spawn. Good looking fish too 8)

Val
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Welcom to the site Sandiegofishes

Looks like you're well on the way to getting the little critters breeding well. Hope your other 25+ tank inhabitants don't mind getting kicked out when you fill them up with L46!!!!!

I'm sure you will enjoy the forum, and I look forward to your contributions!

Rob :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Welcome to the forum,

Congrats on spawning your zebras, apparently once they start there is no stopping them :D .

Good luck.

Adam
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Great job on the spawn!!! Yea I bought four F1s and three wild Adults from him.......he is a cool guy. How is that Fish club you go to? I heard some god stuff about it but I havent had the chance to attend.

Great Job :D

Jerms